Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. The Twilio messaging platform enables companies to integrate omni-channel communications directly into their applications via simple cloud APIs and with on-demand global reach. Twilio is looking for a talented and experienced senior engineering leader to join our Messaging Business Unit. In this role, you will oversee our existing messaging software infrastructure and at the same time drive vision, roadmap and strategy for our next-generation software platform.
You should have some or all of the following:
- 10+ years of practical experience in building high scale, mission critical systems
- Experience in leading engineering leaders and teams through very challenging engineering problems.
- You have demonstrated expertise in building and running highly scalable globally-available and resilient cloud infrastructure.
- You are passionate about engineering hygiene and operational excellence. You have the know-how to build an engineering organization that delivers it.
- You have advanced, inside-out knowledge of multiple programming languages, data store systems and message queue. We use programming languages like Scala, Java, Python, data stores like Cassandra, DynamoDB, MySql, Redis and MQs like Kafka.
- You are someone with deep, industry leading expertise in one or more technology domains and are the "go-to" person for one or more areas of their business.
- You are an expert and hands-on understanding of fault-tolerant systems and multi-datacenter/cloud architectures.
- You have a Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
As a software architect in the messaging team, you will be responsible for:
- Directly design or advise the design for any new messaging software products and APIs
- Lead technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions.
- Solve complex cross functional product problems through elegant engineering designs working with peer architects and products leads across the company
- Drive and lead architect guilds and/or other similar guilds to share knowledge, tools, code, and practices.
- Develop proof of concepts, shared libraries and services that will be used across the product engineering organization.
- Represent messaging products operational maturity to Twilio’s technology executives and to product teams across the company
- Work with the engineering teams to help research and choose technologies, design system architecture and model data in a scalable and efficient way.
Twilio‘s messaging platform enables companies to integrate omnichannel communications directly into their applications via simple cloud APIs and with on-demand global reach. The Messaging team’s vision is to build our next generation Messaging platform with new software products to add intelligence and solve use case based problems for our customers, and integrations with new forms of communication, starting with Chat applications (such as Messenger, iMessage, RCS, WhatsApp) and digital assistants (such as Alexa).
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position is based out of our SF HQ office at 375 Beale Street in San Francisco! You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, monthly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.