Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
At Twilio, we fuel the future of communications. Communications - or the lack thereof - is often the cause and solution to many of the world’s problems. And when it comes to people in crisis, communications can be the bridge between life and death. From someone at risk of overdosing on drugs to a woman being victimized by a violent partner, Twilio is here to power the calls for help and prevent crises before they happen. Our vision is that one day, everyone at risk will get the help they need, right when they need it. And one day, fewer people will be in those life or death moments of crisis.
The newly created Director of Crisis Response will be responsible for leading Twilio.org’s focus on crisis response and prevention. This means using communications to help people experiencing crises which may include drug abuse, domestic violence, sexual assault, and natural disasters. It also includes helping improve emergency response here and around the world (eg: 911 and other emergency response systems outside the US). This person will develop and execute the strategy to use Twilio’s unique assets to solve problems and fill gaps in crisis response and prevention. S/he will expand the positive impact globally while also ensuring Twilio.org continues to be a sustainable business. This primarily involves leveraging Twilio’s technology, but the person will also work with other members of the Twilio.org team to define how Twilio’s grants, investments, and volunteer time can support crisis response.
- Lead the strategy, planning, and execution to make a meaningful impact in crisis response and prevention.
- Define the problems and gaps where Twilio can uniquely help with our technology.
- Lead building a social impact business in crisis response technology, including working with teams to leverage existing products, build new products, position/price/market products, leverage grants/investments/volunteering.
- Communicate the business, technical, and social impact rationale behind recommendations
- Build and maintain relationships across the crisis response ecosystem, including with companies and organizations that are providing crisis response
- Apply existing products and define new products or APIs that fit both our existing offering as well as new markets and use cases in crisis response
- Work cross-functionally with teams inside Twilio (Product, Engineering, Sales, Marketing) and influence decision making with senior-level audiences
- Build and manage a team to execute the vision and strategy
- 7+ years of Product Management or P&L management (General Manager) experience
- High growth technology company experience
- Thinks critically and objectively; has excellent problem solving skills and the ability to make quick decisions based on business demands and social impact potential.
- Ability to recognize patterns and improve the customer experience each time
- Naturally curious and able to distill complex issues into structured frameworks and concrete action plans.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to be personable yet persistent.
- Highly entrepreneurial and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with ambiguity and minimal guidance - be an owner.
- Knowledge and experience with developer products.
- Enthusiastic about leveraging technology to do good in the world.
- A technical bent who enjoys working with technical and engineering teams, as well as our engineering-focused customers, to solve problems.
- A plus:
- Experience in business development or sales
- Experience writing code -- for fun, college, or work.
- Experience defining and measuring quantitative and qualitative impact. For instance how to measure the impact on people’s lives from programs and products
- Experience with crisis response
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our beautiful office at 375 Beale Street in San Francisco. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday Night dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 1,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Berlin, Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Prague, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.