Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
Twilio is looking for a talented and experienced senior engineering leader. You would manage and grow an engineering and operations organization at the heart of Twilio’s Data Platform. This team owns, builds, and operates the Elasticsearch service that powers search capabilities in Twilio Communications products in over 100 countries for Voice, Video, Messaging and our new Flex Call Center Product.
- You have a track record of leading distributed systems engineering and operations teams in software companies.
- You have demonstrated expertise in building and running search and storage systems at near-Petabyte or greater scale either on premise or in public cloud. Specific expertise in Elasticsearch, Solr or other Lucene-based search system is highly desired. Experience in Kafka, Spark and S3 is also a plus.
- You are passionate about engineering hygiene and operational excellence. You have the know-how to build an engineering organization that delivers it
- You are familiar with agile processes, continuous integration, and test automation
- You are a strategic thinker as it relates to scale and removing humans from the loop. You thrive when operating in broad scope, from conception through continuous operation of 24x7 services to defined SLA’s.
- You distill complex and ambiguous situations into actionable plans for your team
- You represent your customers’ perspectives. You plan for how they will be impacted by the services you build, and you always work to enable their success.
- Lead and grow a team of passionate of engineers in our Mountain View office. Provide support and guidance that enables the team to self-organize and to achieve sustained high velocity and predictability.
- Help employees grow through career development, coaching, and mentoring while guiding senior contributors to maximize their potential. You'll provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans, defining goals, perform evaluations, and collaborate with employees on their objectives.
- Own, operate, and maintain your team’s services. Employ Agile methodologies to continuously deliver value to customers. Enhance and maintain a rotating on-call incident escalation and response process.
- Represent your team’s operational maturity to Twilio’s technology executives and to product teams across the company
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, Architects, and Tech Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities
- Act as an ambassador for Twilio, recruiting and motivating top talent
Twilio’s Data Platform is one of the central foundation layers in delivering an amazing experience to customers and developers. Everything from phone numbers to messaging, voice and video events leverage the Data Platform for transport, storage and ultimately insight. In this role you would own and be accountable for how we scale and manage Elasticsearch along with associated storage, ensuring that we offer a very low friction path for internal product teams to leverage Data Platform Elasticsearch. Your service takes into account all of various regulatory requirements for each country, as well as compliance initiatives, including GDPR.
You would be a visible leader and would work closely with teams at every layer of the company. Your success would deliver great customer experiences at major brands around the world (Twilio’s customers), and you would enable them to deliver better services to their customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our office at 399 W. El Camino Real in Mountain View. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 1,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Berlin, Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Prague, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.