Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Where and Why
In the cloud, your primary product is customer trust. That’s why Twilio is seeking a Head of Engineering, reporting to the VP and GM of Twilio’s Super Network. This leader will own the holistic view of the engineering teams within Super Network including Hardware, Software, and Operational Tooling teams geographically dispersed across the world including centers of excellence in San Francisco, CA and Tallinn, Estonia. This leader will mentor and manage functional teams and work closely with other leaders and teams across the company. The biggest brands in technology trust Twilio to power their communications, this role is about delivering on that promise.
- Be an advocate for the customer in all things Super Network.
- Work with our customers to resolve issues with the Super Network as necessary.
- Work closely with Super Network Product Management to delivery on committed roadmap.
- Directs and oversees the software engineering functions in developing, releasing, and maintaining software applications/operating systems according to business needs.
- Be a technical and inspirational leader for the following global teams:
- Fraud Services (SF based): Responsible for building out automated fraud protection systems that help Twilio protect the integrity of our network by reducing fraud and spam on an ongoing basis across existing and new products.
- Super Network Health Services (Estonia based): Responsible for the resiliency of Super Network’s carrier connections. The team will be tasked with providing metrics into the quality of our carrier connections and building out automation to detect and solve performance degradation in our carrier routes. Their key goal is to minimize customer facing impact/downtime due to traditional carrier network outages.
- Super Network Connectivity Services (Estonia based): Primary goal is to automate, measure, and catalog interconnections with carriers in support of segmentation (assessing features of carriers), expanding carrier coverage, and alternative business models.
- SMS Engineering (Estonia/Bogota based): SMS Engineering enables the Super Network to exceed customer expectations for message deliverability. This team is responsible for scaling our backend components in line with our growth, while enabling our services to meet the needs of Twilio globally by launching new capabilities for phone number types and use case segmentation.
- Carrier Tools (Estonia based): Responsible for building out systems to offer overview and insights into our route cost structure and tools to manage the cost effectively.
- Wireless and IOT solution design and build out: Consult on design and architecture of our fledgeling global wireless and IOT solution including designing for scale and supportability.
- Must have experience building and leading an effective team at scale across several time zones.
- Must have strong analytical, consultative and problem solving skills and be a strong communicator (oral, written, presentation).
- Must have a customer first mentality.
- Minimum 10+ years managing large geographically diverse engineering teams.
- Must align with Twilio’s values and leadership principles.
- BA or BS required, MS preferred and/or related work experience.
Twilio's mission is to fuel the future of communications. Developers and businesses use Twilio to make communications relevant and contextual by embedding messaging, voice, IoT and video capabilities directly into their software applications. At the core of these capabilities is our Super Network, the world’s most reliable and resilient communications network. For the last 10 years the team has been hard at work building an Intelligent and Resilient Global Infrastructure to reach anyone in the world over any channel through one provider, at any scale. Our globally available cloud API makes connectivity instantly available in over 100+ countries allowing businesses to focus on building unique communication experiences with their customers instead of dealing with the messiness of traditional telecommunication.
This position will be located in our San Francisco office at 375 Beale Street. You will enjoy our office perks: catered meals, snacks, game room, ergonomic desks, massages, Wednesday dinners, bi-weekly All Hands and more. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves.
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 1,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.