Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Our Messaging team develops the engine that powers Twilio’s communication infrastructure enabling multi-platform signaling on a global scale.
Realtime Data is foundational for both internal Twilio services and to external customers - as a platform. As a Software Engineer you will be developing a set of globally available, resilient and highly performant services used by hundreds of thousands of developers and apps.
We’re looking for versatile software engineers with product thinking eager to bring our cloud-hosted Software-As-A-Service API platform to new heights.
Versatility means readiness to learn and execute on all levels of software engineering: from backend to client, from low-level optimizations and debugging to architecture and system design, from slinging code to operations and assuring quality of your work.
Product thinking means taking pride and ownership of beautiful APIs that millions of developers can use around the world, as well as empathy for our customers and their businesses enabled by Twilio platform.
We welcome and incorporate people with different levels of seniority and experience.
As a member of Messaging team you will have an opportunity to work on highly-available, globally-distributed, and bulletproof-resilient infrastructure that powers Twilio’s Programmable Chat, Sync and Notify products, in addition to powering internal customers. You will contribute to product development end-to-end: from working with members of the product organisation to distill customer requirements to architecture, design, and development. You’ll also be accountable to operate the systems you’ve created live, devops-style.
In Messaging we believe in versatility and complementing proficiencies being key to forming a better team. We are therefore looking for people with a variety of skills, specializations and levels of seniority. You should have at least 3 of the proficiencies below to be considered for the role:
- C++. You are a rock-solid C++ developer, and use it (including latest standards) regularly. We believe there’s a great correlation between good developers and proficiency in C++.
- Scalable backend. You understand scalability challenges and performance of server-side code. You can design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and performing-under-load systems.
- Java. You are a Java enthusiast and professional. There is at least one framework in which you can be called an expert.
- Cloud. You are proficient in cloud technologies and are hands-on in at least one cloud platform: GCC, AWS, or Azure. You are able to both design and develop cloud-based systems and operate them in an automated fashion.
- Testing. You are passionate about quality and can engineer it at all stages of software development. You are able to design and develop quality pipeline requiring as little human intervention as possible.
- Security. You are able to design secure distributed systems and assure operational processes around security. You understand fitness for purpose of security techniques.
- Agile. You are an expert in practical aspects of running Scrum (or other agile methodologies) within a team and in a distributed cross-team environment.
- Bachelors/Masters degree required, or equivalent experience.
The services and APIs developed by the Messaging team are used by thousands of customers, both internal and external to Twilio. Our infrastructure powers aspect of Flex and works in concert with Messaging.
Twilio empowers the world’s developers with modern communication tools, helping them to build better applications. Twilio is unique: we are a company committed to your entire employee experience. We win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you cultivate your strengths. This means we will trust you to invest in complex solutions where we need them, and we’ll rely on and encourage creativity. We have a culture founded on diversity, inclusion, and innovation, and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Join us!
This position will be located in our new beautiful and well designed office at Veerenni 38 in Tallinn. You will enjoy our incredible perks: monthly breakfast, twice a week lunch, dinner during our bi-weekly global All Hands and a fully-stocked kitchen with a variety of snacks and beverages. We have many team building events weekly, monthly and of course annual summer days. What you will also get to experience is a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life, that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, people who can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook. You want to experience all of this with the best people? Join Twilio Tallinn team!
More than 2 million developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, and video by virtualizing the world’s telecommunications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer's toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers. Founded in 2008, Twilio has over 2,000 employees, with headquarters in San Francisco and other offices in Bogotá, Dublin, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Mountain View, Munich, New York City, Singapore and Tallinn.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.