We are currently looking for an Engineering Manager to join our growing team in our downtown Toronto studio. Help us deliver high-quality software across a variety of client projects and industries.
We are looking for someone who can lead a team of talented engineers responsible for supporting numerous projects across the company, solve technical challenges, oversee employee development, performance, and overall career progression.
About the Job
- Directly manage a team of 3-8 software engineers
- Be a role model and professional coach for engineers with a strong bias for action and focus on craftsmanship
- Facilitate team success using established metrics for measurement of engineering and operational excellence, and drive a consistent, regular process for assessment and improvement.
- Be heavily involved in the recruitment process
- Provide technical leadership, clarity and direction for early-stage accounts by walking the path of sales engineering and solution architecture
- Collaborate with team members in evaluating technical merits and costs associated with product decision
- Facilitate design/architecture discussions
- Scope projects that require multiple developer resources
- Communicate across functions and drive engineering initiatives
- Collaborate with designers, developers, strategists, QA analysts and account managers on client projects and new opportunities
- Technical leadership and experience in empathy-based people management.
- Strong leader capable of motivating, inspiring, and energizing the team.
- Demonstrated expertise in problem-solving and technical innovation, capable of "rolling-up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty".
- Proven experience establishing metrics for measurement of engineering excellence
- Experience with employee development, performance management and delivering results.
- Experience in full cycle project development
- Ability to interact effectively with clients to define user requirements and application architecture
- Computer Science, Software Engineering or Web Development degree or certificate, or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrable knowledge of database design, network services, solution architecture and implementation
- A history of establishing teams by developing leaders and recruiting exceptional talent
Nice to Have
- Experience working with Linux/Unix systems and open-source software
- Exposure to and enthusiasm for Agile approaches to software development (e.g. automated testing, continuous integration, etc.)
- Experience with distributed teams
- You enjoy working with others in a highly collaborative environment
- You're equally happy learning something new or teaching others something you've learned
- You have a passion for technology and solving problems with code
- You care deeply about craftsmanship and quality
- You get pride and satisfaction from seeing growth and success in others
What we value
TWG is championing a revolution in software design, turning traditional engagements into lasting partnerships that create real value for everyone involved.
- Friendly environment with flexible office hours
- Competitive salaries
- 15 days of paid vacation
- Paid sick days
- Work from home one day a week
- Health benefits: prescriptions, dental, vision, and insurance
- Hardware credit
- Paid phone plan
- Paid parental leave
- Corporate gym rate and allowance
- Learning culture: in-house lunch and learns, conferences and training courses
- Stocked kitchen with healthy treats, juices, coffee and premium beer
- Company retreats and socials
- Casual dress code
- Pet-friendly office
We encourage applications from candidates of colour, women, queer candidates, candidates with family caregiving responsibilities, immigrant candidates, transgender candidates, and candidates with disabilities.