Design Managers have a team of direct reports, and it is the Manager’s job to make sure those people are successful and productive on the job while maintaining their happiness and managing their retention.
Are you passionate about solving problems for a diverse set of products, clients and their vast user bases? Do you have a deep and applied understanding of design process, frameworks and their outcomes? Do you want to manage and mentor teams but still contribute to designing world-class solutions?
TWG is looking for Design Managers to guide us on our mission to help build the most innovative enterprises and startups in the world. We are looking for someone who can lead a team of talented designers on a variety of projects across a multitude of industries and platforms. You’ll be responsible for supporting numerous projects across the company, solving design challenges, overseeing employee development, performance and overall career progression.
As a company that has a reputation for solving challenges (which is partly why 70% of TWG new hires come from referrals), we are looking to add design managers who have the breadth of experience to truly take our teams to the next level. Come join our fast-growing team and work with a wide range of industries and products - from Fintech to Edtech, Media to Emerging Technologies, building web and mobile products for well funded startups and Fortune 500 companies.
About the Job
- You will manage a team of 2 to 4 designers with an eye of eventually leading up to 8 reports
- Be a role model and professional coach for designers by conducting productive weekly 1 on 1s, setting and tracking goals in order to support career growth with a strong bias for action and focus on craftsmanship
- Drive design initiatives by prioritizing their value with other Managers and Leads, and see them through to measurable success
- Further build out the Design Team by recruiting talented designers and running design interviews
- You will play an active role in our full product lifecycle by meeting new clients and leading the design-focused Sales and Solution Engineering phases of our projects
- You will act as a design lead on projects and allocate development resources as per project requirements
- Perform day-to-day design tasks as needed by consulting on strategy, creating layouts and running critiques to ensure the quality of our solutions
- You'll work collaboratively with clients on potential software design solutions, delivery of products and ad hoc client requests
- You'll work collaboratively with our engineers, developers, strategists, QA analysts and account managers on client projects and new opportunities
- A portfolio that showcases a proven track record of executing and shipping successful design solutions for growing businesses
- 1 - 3 years experience managing the performance of a team of Designers (preferably in an agency environment)
- Demonstrable knowledge of a wide range of design tools (Sketch, Invision, Creative Suite, prototyping tools, etc) and design thinking frameworks (Design Sprints, Human Centered Design, Lean Product Strategy, etc)
Nice to have
- Interaction design and animation expertise
- Illustration, copywriting, and photography expertise (all three for bonus points)
- A keen interest or proven success public speaking or teaching in groups
- Front-end development skills
- A few shiny awards on your resume
- No ego, no bullshit
- Diversity and inclusion are top priorities for you
- Context switching and managing competing priorities are second nature
- Positivity, enthusiasm, and a general lust for life
TWG is championing a revolution in software design, turning traditional engagements into lasting partnerships that create real value for everyone involved.
- Friendly environment with flexible office hours
- Competitive salaries
- 15 days of paid vacation
- Unlimited paid personal days
- Work from home 2x per week
- Hybrid benefits plan: prescriptions, dental, insurance and health spending account
- Paid phone plan
- Computer hardware program
- Group RRSP program
- Paid parental leave
- Corporate gym rate and allowance
- Learning culture: in-house lunch and learns, conferences and training courses
- Stocked kitchen with healthy treats, juices, coffee and premium beer
- Company retreats and socials
- Casual dress code
- Pet-friendly office
TWG is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, persons with family caregiving responsibilities, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women.