Twelve is a new kind of chemical company built for the climate era. Our breakthrough technology eliminates emissions by turning CO2 into essential products. We are a team of scientists, engineers and problem solvers on a mission to fundamentally shift the way the world addresses climate change and lead the transition to a fossil free future with our carbon transformation technology.
As an Engineering Manager, Test Stand Development, you will lead a team to develop, prototype, and build new testing systems and methods for investigating CO2 conversion. In addition, you will maintain existing infrastructure and champion safe operations. The Test Stand Team is looking for an experienced, dynamic individual who is comfortable working in an R&D setting in which assigned projects may not be clearly defined from the outset. In this role, you will work in collaboration with other teams at Twelve across various disciplines.
This is a full time role based in Berkeley, CA
What you’ll do
- Lead a team to develop and build the next generation of test stands and related equipment.
- Define, implement and improve our design processes to find the right balance between our prototype projects and our production projects
- Define the project roadmap by taking into account future production needs and new feature requests
- Be a technical mentor for our design engineers
- Define project requirements, schedules, and milestones, and manage progress towards those milestones.
- Design and prototype systems and instrumentation for CO2 conversion processes.
- Investigate and validate new characterization techniques through the use of sensors, hardware, and test methodologies.
- Integrate equipment such as pumps, mass flow controllers, power supplies, data acquisition devices, microcontrollers, and gas chromatographs into new and existing systems.
- Develop and document design activities, work instructions, and operating procedures for new equipment and systems.
Who you are
- Experience leading teams of engineers
- Demonstrable hands-on experience designing and building pressurized gas systems (valves, piping, flow and pressure control, etc.)
- Experience building integrated systems that include controls and data acquisition
- You have led projects with multiple contributors in a professional setting. This includes projects with cross-functional requirements of varying complexity.
- Strong desire and curiosity to learn new things.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic and collaborative environment.
- You have experience prototyping across several disciplines of engineering, such as through prior work experience or hobby projects, and can demonstrate at least 3 of the following:
- CAD experience (especially design and fabrication of custom parts).
- Active participant in safety culture with HAZOP/DFMEA experience
- Experience with data acquisition systems and software (MATLAB, Python, LabView, etc.).
- Experience with fluid handling devices like pumps, valving, heat exchangers, and instrumentation.
- Experience working with compressed gasses.
- Electronics experience specifying and installing sensors with different interfaces such as analog current and voltage signals as well as digital communication.
- Understanding of laboratory characterization equipment such as gas chromatographs or gas analyzers.
- Experience with PLCs and HMIs.
- Familiarity with electrochemical systems like fuel cells, batteries, electrolyzers, etc. and relevant characterization equipment like potentiostats.
- Degree in a STEM field.
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Paid sick days and vacation
- Competitive salary and equity compensation commensurate with experience
- Diverse and inclusive work environment
We believe that the unique contributions of each individual is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
Want to work with us but don't see a current opening that fits your background? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.