Twelve is a new kind of chemical company built for the climate era. Our breakthrough technology eliminates emissions by turning CO2 into essential products. We are a team of scientists, engineers and problem solvers on a mission to fundamentally shift the way the world addresses climate change and lead the transition to a fossil free future with our carbon transformation technology.
The Fabrication Team is a dynamic part of Twelve’s technical team responsible for formulating inks, designing electrodes, coating substrates and scaling-up the core component of our CO2 electrolyzer system, the Membrane Electrode Assembly (MEA). The MEA is made of catalysts, polymer electrolytes, and other substrates that catalyze the conversion of CO2 to CO and other chemicals. Our team works collaboratively to translate research ideas into functioning systems and products with high performance and durability. So if you're ready to roll up your sleeves with a diverse, world class team of material scientists, electrochemists and engineers in an innovative and supportive environment to make a positive, measurable impact on climate, Twelve is the place for you.
We are looking for a Formulation Engineer to conduct research and develop inks for coating substrates and fabricating the anodes and cathode components of our CO2 electrolyzers. In this position you will be engaged with multiple cross-functional teams to explore various aspects of developing scalable coating processes by rapidly iterating through ink formulations, optimizing ink mixing methods, modifying the deposition of thin films on substrates, and tuning formulation and fabrication parameters (solids ratio, viscosity, surface tension, drying rate etc.) to optimize electrode composition and morphology. You will be tasked with becoming the subject matter expert on ink rheology, develop new solvent-based ink dispersion techniques, evaluate the stability of materials and optimizing new ink formulations for various fabrication/deposition methods. You will also be collaborating with a team of scientists, engineers and technicians to conduct R&D hands-on primarily on-site in Berkeley, CA.
What you will do
- Formulate inks for spray deposition, slot die or roll-to-roll coating and support various fabrication projects to scale up Twelve’s MEA production
- Plan and execute projects or design experiments to optimize coating methods and drying behavior of inks to fabricate high performance electrodes
- Lead and mentor a team of engineers and technicians and provide technical support to projects leads
- Liaise and communicate effectively between the R&D project teams and fabrication team to achieve project goals and meet deliverables
- Analyze and present experimental findings to colleagues and collaborators
- Direct, train, and mentor MEA fabrication technicians and engineers on new processes and tools
- Rapidly analyze measurement data for process and characterization parameters
- Maintain and manage good record keeping and communication platforms
Who you are
- You have a relevant STEM Master's Degree and 6+ years of experience, or a Bachelor's degree in a STEM field with 10+ years of relevant experience
- Hands on experience working with, or developing, inks for roll to roll or other relevant coating methods or equipment
- Prior experience leading projects fabricating electrodes using slot die, roll-to-roll coating, Meyer rod coating, blade coating, or gravure coating methods is strongly preferred
- Experience working with and operating ink preparation and ink mixing equipment
- Familiarity with electrochemical systems (fuel cells, electrolyzers) is desired
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Paid sick days and vacation
- Competitive salary and equity compensation commensurate with experience
- Diverse and inclusive work environment
We believe that the unique contributions of each individual is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
Want to work with us but don't see a current opening that fits your background? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.