This is your chance to register interest in a position at Tweag. Although we are not currently hiring, we expect to resume soon, and would be delighted to learn more about you now so that we can reach out when the time comes!
We are looking for a Functional Software Engineer to join our team at Tweag.
You are a tinkerer, who enjoys investigating and solving difficult problems. You approach challenges patiently and pragmatically, with a natural ability to generalize and repurpose what you learn.
You are a communicator, empathetic in understanding your client’s needs and showing care in their individual concerns. You are assertive and precise, able to convey a cohesive narrative of your work and progress both verbally and in writing.
You are an effective consultant: confident, yet considerate. You are able to use open source ideals to execute practical, technical goals and confidently push forward new and principled approaches and solutions. You strike the balance between your own way of thinking and the client's background and needs.
- Have experience with at least one functional programming language (Haskell, Scala, OCaml, Erlang, Clojure, etc.).
- Have excellent coding skills with a high bar for quality and understandability.
- Are able to work autonomously and comfortable contributing to defining objectives and milestones,
- Nurture a learning mindset, regardless of level or experience, and desire to delve deeper in the face of setbacks,
- Have an interest in – and some experience of – open source community contributions
- A desire to regularly communicate new learnings.
- An empathetic, humble, and client-focused ethos.
- Strong organizational and task management skills.
- Excellent communication skills, especially written. We are a distributed team so we’re extra mindful about communication.
This may be the role for you!
- Work together with client teams on their code-base, which include (but are not limited to) distributed systems, web services, compilers, and developer tools
- Work on improving our many research and community projects
- Any combination of the previous two bullets, either simultaneously or in sequence.
- Participate in public communication via writing blog posts and communicating with colleagues and the Functional programming community
Tweag is a software innovation lab founded on the concept of pairing effective consultancy and visible open-source contributions. We help deep tech startups quickly scale their engineering performance and execute on high-risk, high-reward projects. The application of principles from mathematics, computer science, and open-source allow us to build software more effectively and confidently.
We have a long track record and strong reputation in the functional programming community. Thus, in each of our domains of software, data, and infrastructure, we value
- Immutability and strong typing to produce verifiable solutions, and
- Composability and declarative style so that we can readily generalise and repurpose those solutions.
We are looking for exceptional people to join our team, who
- Are humble and able to make confident contributions,
- Will proactively collaborate to explore, define and deliver their work,
- Help contribute to a safe and constructive environment for asking and receiving feedback, and
- Practice and value accountability.
At Tweag, our engineers are allowed and encouraged to fail as much as they are encouraged to succeed. We nurture an environment of autonomy and drive, providing ample support and diverse opportunities for growth.
Tweag is a Modus Create company. Modus is a fully remote IT consulting firm headquartered in the United States with offices in Costa Rica and Romania. We are now 430+ Modites spread across the globe, making a difference in the digital business across four core delivery areas: business and product strategy consulting, customer experience, cloud services, and Agile software delivery. We work with diverse clients in the industry, such as Burger King, Shiseido, Pfizer, Audi, Marriott Hotels, and many others.
Benefits & Perks
- Permanent employment contract for candidates based in France, Switzerland, Sweden, US, UK, Germany, and the Netherlands.
- Independent contractor agreement for candidates based outside of the countries listed in the previous bullet.
- A Tweag laptop and an onboarding budget for home office needs.
- A visit to the Paris office, an annual team event for employees, access to an online mental health service and more.