Data Engineer or Scientist
Who are we?
Tweag is a software innovation lab that helps deep tech startups quickly scale their engineering performance and execute on high-risk, high-reward projects with confidence. We find the best wherever they live, to build better software by applying mathematics, computer science and the methods of open source.
Our core engineering mantras: functional, typed, immutable. These are the key technologies for composable software. We are the maintainers of - and contributors to - many open source projects to promote these principles. We’re hot on creating tooling for reproducible science, bolstering probabilistic programming and finding the simplest answers to complicated questions in biotech, retail, finance, autonomous vehicles and elsewhere.
We're looking for exceptional data engineers and -scientists to join our team, either remote or onsite at our office in the centre of Paris. Most of our engineers work remote.
Who are you?
We don’t care for specific technical skills. Consider applying if you are inquisitive, willing to fail often and adapt quickly. You should be comfortable with feeling out of your depth and rapidly becoming an expert in a new field.
An open mind towards functional programming and reproducible software systems is a bonus. Don't feel like knowledge in these areas is a prerequisite.
As a data engineer at Tweag, you
- quickly assimilate new data to rapidly come to production speed on a new project,
- work autonomously,
- bring passion and excitement for the work,
- build good relationships, with clients and with colleagues,
- have good presentation and communication skills,
- have a high level of competence in at least one programming language (Haskell, Rust, Python, R, Scala, OCaml, C++, Julia, etc.),
- have a good understanding of developer tools and techniques such as Git, GitHub / GitLab, Nix and Docker.
A typical data candidate has, in addition, some mix of the following skills:
- in-depth knowledge of statistics or one or several machine learning techniques (e.g., Bayesian statistics, deep learning),
- familiarity with popular data science and machine learning software (Python data science ecosystem, R, Stan, ...),
- experience building frontends, dashboards and data visualizations,
- cloud environments (AWS, GCP), databases, scheduling and workflow tools such as Apache Beam / Airflow.
What will you be doing?
Engineers at Tweag typically:
- work embedded in a client team, working with their engineers and other Tweag people, or
- work on improving our many research and community projects.
- The chance to work on interesting problems and work with and learn from amazing people,
- a flexible work environment, based either remotely or in our Paris office,
- the opportunity to work on your own innovative projects, if they align with Tweag’s goals,
- support to grow into other specialist areas.