This opportunity is located in San Diego, CA , Tucson, AZ , or Remote.
You can apply to the job with this email address:firstname.lastname@example.org
Come join a higher calling and find a deeper purpose!
As a multi-national Artificial Intelligence Technology Company, we are at the epicenter of the Autonomous Vehicle Universe. Our breakthroughs are leading the industry in autonomous trucking.
While inventing the framework of Autonomous Driving, our current fleet of autonomous Trucks are helping communities receive much-needed supplies and medical equipment around the clock. Our people are some of the most talented engineers and contributors who are leaving behind a historic legacy.
TuSimple was founded half a decade ago with the goal of bringing the top minds in the world together to achieve the dream of a driverless truck solution. With a foundation in computer vision, algorithms, mapping, and Artificial Intelligence, TuSimple is working to create the first global commercially viable Autonomous Freight Network.
In partnership with our Head of Procurement, TuSimple’s Director, Purchasing owns the strategic implementation, design, management, and oversight of our Process Management, Strategic Sourcing, Materials Management/Supply Chain, and Supplier Program Management functions.
The Director, Purchasing drives the Sourcing and Supplier Management functions at TuSimple. You will be responsible for developing and executing methodical, scalable, and cutting edge strategies aligned with business needs. You will also build strong relationships with suppliers and cross-functional teams to seamlessly execute program and business initiatives. Leads the negotiation, contract, and selection process, ensuring top quality, best pricing, strong delivery conditions, and all other necessary terms and conditions for supplier service and performance.
In addition, you will consistently safeguard compliance throughout the purchasing/procurement process, ensuring projects and supplier relationships align with procurement policies, fiscal controls, and legal requirements, while driving top value-added benefits for the organization. S/he will grow the team to scale effectively, implement the necessary tools and technology to drive efficiency, optimization, and value; all to achieve a best-in-class Sourcing and Purchasing organization within TuSimple.
Join us and be a part of excellence!
- Develops, leads, oversees, and continually assesses and implements improvements to the functional areas of Process Management, Strategic Sourcing, Materials Management/SupplyChain, and Supplier Program Management. Ensures All functional areas meet or exceed objectives, key targets, and business needs
- Fully owns the sourcing plan, ensuring alignment with business and program objectives, for assigned client group(s). Develops strategic purchasing strategies for new and current suppliers; develops and maintains strong partnerships with suppliers and assigned client group(s). Ensures deep understanding of the supplier landscape and focus on material cost reduction, quality improvement, and delivery performance
- Overseas the Request for Information (RFI), Request for Proposal (RFP), and Request for Quote (RFQ) process for assigned clients, in accordance with fiscal controls, purchasing strategy and sourcing plan(s). Utilizes a Total Cost of Operation (TCO) approach, which includes: global sourcing, multiple supplier outreach, supplier competitor outreach, specification adjustments, process optimization, value engineering/value analysis, and optimization of logistics and/or payments. Develops the sourcing plan comparative analysis, ensuring incorporation of cross-functional teams feedback. Analyses and evaluates supplier cost structure and overall value and fit for TuSimple. Selects, or makes recommendations for selection of, supplier(s) in alignment with business and program objectives. Supports Engineering/Product Change Requests and Cost Savings Projects, as assigned
- Leads the negotiation, contract, and selection process with suppliers, ensuring top quality, best pricing, strong delivery conditions, and all other necessary terms and conditions for supplier service and performance, in alignment with sourcing plan, business, and program objectives. Ensures all contracts for materials procured on behalf of assigned client group(s) are negotiated in alignment with fiscal and legal controls. Partners with legal to provide contract training, related to relevant terms and conditions, for applicable Procurement staff and cross-functional teams, as necessary.
- Identifies and builds relationships with key suppliers. Develops and maintains strong relationships with the overall assigned supplier base. Manages supplier base, ensuring performance meets and/or exceeds defined performance metrics, resolving any disputes or issues, regularly assessing supplier base fiscal health, and mitigating any supplier risk
- Establishes, Implements, and fully owns supplier development, supplier consolidation, and cost reduction programs and teams. Ensures program objectives aligns with Procurement Department strategies and Partners with key suppliers and engineering leads to meet and/or exceeds objectives
- Builds and maintains strong internal client relationships. Identifies and investigates current and potential clients procurement needs; stated and unstated. Proactively develops competitive solutions and proposals to address needs. Maintains internal client satisfaction through regular feedback requests, strong communication, and business reviews
- Collaborates and partners with cross-functional teams to facilitate optimal outcomes in the solving of complex R&D and/or production challenges, as it relates to solutions for procurement needs
- In partnership with the head of Procurement, establishes and implements best practices, processes and procedures for the Procurement team, as well as, long-term strategic supplier agreements and supplier give back terms
- Ensures full analysis related to supplier quality, spend, delivery and all other necessary metrics are regularly conducted and reported on
- Stays abreast of new and evolving market trends, best practices, and industry specific information. Researches, monitors, and analyzes trends related to procurement in the automotive, machine learning, and autonomous driving spaces. Provides thought leadership, insights, and recommendations for optimizing procurement and streamlining processes
- Provides strong leadership in the recruitment, training and development of top-quality Procurement talent, ensuring the high level of performance and productivity. Builds morale, motivates and instills productivity and teamwork, creates and promotes a positive and supportive work environment. Creates a culture of continuous improvement for processes, systems, data, training, people, etc.
Experience & Skills Required
- Bachelor’s Degree or above in Materials Management, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, Engineering, or a related field.
- 10+ years of experience in Sourcing and Materials Management, Procurement, Global Supply Chain, or related field
- 5+ years of experience leading a team of procurement professionals
- Preferred Certifications: APICS, Six Sigma Black Belt, Lean Management
- ADAS Automotive product experience, strongly preferred
- Demonstrated experience executing on organizational vision and strategy
- Proven ability to develop and implement a strategic procurement roadmap to build and achieve a best-in-class Sourcing and Purchasing organization
- Demonstrated ability to lead, inspire and motivate procurement teams to effectively and efficiently accomplish goals. Ability To create a sense of “team”
- Proven experience building and improving processes and promoting quality
- Superior negotiation skills; proven track record of successfully negotiating with large high profile suppliers and vendors. Ability to analyze and influence business terms and conditions with vendors to ensure minimum risk related to company purchases
- Advanced prospecting, market analysis, and critical thinking skills
- Deep understanding of supply chain principles and processes, including supply/demand planning, safety stock, lead-time, transportation, and warehousing
- Superior knowledge of purchasing practices, including methods of establishing costs, selling prices, terms, and general knowledge of business law (e.g. Mutual Non-Disclosure Agreements) relative to procurement practices and inventory management
- Advanced knowledge of sourcing and materials management systems and processes.
- Ability to analyze Bills of Materials, Master Schedules, Excess and Obsolete Inventory Reports, in order to collect, analyze and summarize information and trends.
- Strong knowledge of, or experience with, Spend Analytics, Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) Modelling, Sensitivity Analysis, Leverage Management, Change Management, Risk Management, Conflict Resolution, and Stakeholder Management.
- Versed in different agreements and pricing structures paired with strong financial acumen.
- Ability to read and understand legal contract terms. Familiarity with financial management of contracts including understanding business cases, understanding contract cost structures, support and maintenance costs structures, and negotiating savings/reductions in costs for contracts. Able to analyze costs and financial risks relating to contracts.
- Ability to read and understand engineering components and assembly drawings.
- Solid understanding of automotive and technical parts.
- Superior knowledge of shipping and receiving requirements and procedures
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to work to deadlines and successfully lead multiple initiatives. Understanding of Lean Management, Agile, SCRUM, and continuous improvement best practices, principles and methodologies
- Familiarity with compliance and audit standards, including SOX, as it relates to Procurement.
- Intellectually curious with a strong bias to action
- Client focused and highly collaborative
- Flexible and enthusiastic approach to work assignments and new learning opportunities
- Critical thinker; able to evaluate and distill multiple streams of information, formulate and ask important questions, then make informed recommendations and/or decisions
- Superior analytical and decision-making skills with established understanding of business implications of decisions
- Understands the importance of "big picture" thinking and planning. Able to apply business acumen to focus on key success factors for the organization
- Strong interpersonal skills; capable of building relationships with a wide range of internal clients and external vendors, suppliers, and consultants. Able to effectively partner with cross-functional teams to coordinate activities and accomplish goals. Proven ability to identify solutions to pain points.
- Highly persuasive; can build rapport and effectively influence the actions and opinions of others at all levels of the organization. Able to effectively and respectfully challenge the status quo and drive change.
- Superior understanding for the necessity and value of accuracy and attention to detail; ability to process information with high levels of accuracy.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills. Capable of listening and obtaining clarification, changing approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Proven ability to collaborate and effectively communicate as part of a team, while effectively managing and prioritizing multiple requests and complex projects simultaneously.
- Established history of taking a thoughtful action-oriented approach for meeting the demands of multiple internal customers and operational needs.
- Proven ability to work in a matrix organization, tech start-up experience preferred.
- Ability to maintain steady leadership throughout aggressive deadlines, changing priorities, and evolving operations, as common to progressive start-up environments.
- 100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for you and your family
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner served every day
- Full kitchens on every floor with unlimited snacks, drinks, special treats, fruits, meals, and more
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Monthly team building budget
- Learning/education budget
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer-paid long and short disability
TuSimple is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above-listed items.
This opportunity is located in San Diego, CA or Tucson, AZ.
You can apply to the job with this email address:email@example.com