This opportunity is located in San Diego, CA. Remote friendly during Covid-19.
You can apply to the job with this email address:email@example.com
Come join a higher calling and find a deeper purpose!
As a multi-national Artificial Intelligence Technology Company, we are at the epicenter of the Autonomous Vehicle Universe. Our breakthroughs are leading the industry in autonomous trucking.
While inventing the framework of Autonomous Driving, our current fleet of autonomous Trucks are helping communities receive much-needed supplies and medical equipment around the clock. Our people are some of the most talented engineers and contributors who are leaving behind a historic legacy.
TuSimple was founded half a decade ago with the goal of bringing the top minds in the world together to achieve the dream of a driverless truck solution. With a foundation in computer vision, algorithms, mapping, and Artificial Intelligence, TuSimple is working to create the first global commercially viable Autonomous Freight Network.
TuSimple’s Director, US Controllership is a key member of the Global Controllership leadership team, serving as the US business operational accounting process leader and overseeing all relevant US controllership processes including: full-cycle accounting, reporting and analysis, financial operations and end-to-end governance and control.
In this leadership capacity, the Director, US Controllership oversees process improvements and leads a wide-variety of functional and management initiatives. You will oversee the US Controllership team, composed of credit, accounts receivable (AR), accounts payable (AP), payroll, travel and expense (T&E), and all other associated accounting roles and functions necessary to support the technical and operational accounting and reporting needs for TuSimple’s US Business.
Additionally, you will lead communications and manage relationships with all US Business Partners, ensuring transparency, accuracy, and control of the Controllership processes and performance metrics.
Join us and be a part of excellence!
- Serving as a key member of the Global Controllership leadership team, oversees the end to end US Accounting process design including the GAAP reporting requirements, local reporting requirements, and SOX compliance-in alignment with Corporate Controllership protocol
- Acts as a strategic business partner, providing accounting and controls thought-leadership to cross-functional teams,(Finance, Procurement, People Operations. Investor Relations, Business Operations, etc.) on a wide-variety of strategic and operational initiatives
- Integrates within the business, proactively identifying opportunities to provide consultation, guidance, and feedback on and supporting the business with their accounting, budgeting, and financial needs (e.g. credit, AR,AP, payroll, T&E).Consults on internal control implications of business activities and initiatives - supporting with demonstration of fiscal and regulatory (GAAP, SOX) impacts. Provides insights in support of strengthening TuSimple’s bottom line
- Partners with the Finance team to monitor spend, procurement trends vs. expectations, compliance with policies and procedures, and resolution of accounting business process issues - coordinating work as necessary
- Leads the full US Accounting team, including US record to report, credit & accounts receivable, accounts payable, and payroll. Ensures alignment and adherence to practices and procedures, integrity of transactions within the general ledger, and that any operational gaps are immediately addressed, prior to close (including strong handovers ,all account reconciliations assigned, effective policies and procedures, etc.)
- Fully owns US operational accounting policies and implements changes, as necessary, which can impact managerial and external stakeholder reporting (Board of Advisors, Shareholders, Regulatory Authorities)
- Drives the end-to-end financial reporting governance (e.g Original Credit Transaction, Publicly Traded Partnership, inventory, capital assets, etc.). Ensures the US accounting team meets their statutory reporting compliance requirements, the respective accounting flows, and necessary documentation - including ensuring the accuracy of external disclosures. Makes changes and updates to externally reported financial information (e.g. 8K,10Q, 10K, Proxy)
- Fully owns the close strategy and execution for the US business, including managing and reviewing all close activities(e.g. journal entry integrity, account reconciliations, etc.) within established timelines. Leads regular analytical reviews(month over month, period over period, year over year, etc.) for any significant changes
- Ensures the US business financial deliverables (e.g. financial close, income statement, balance sheet& cash flow, working capital, reporting package analytics, etc.) are completed on time and in compliance with USGAAP/SEC standards. Continuously assesses internal controls for optimization and effectiveness
- Consistently monitors US Controllership team work to identify any potential issues that can impact financial operations(operational or technical) and deploys solutions (e.g. software, systems, procedures, etc.). Regularly assess business needs, as it relates to Accounting, and adapts operational GAAP policies and methodologies, as appropriate
- Partners across the Controllership teams (including international controllers) to design, develop, document, implement, and maintain accounting policies and procedures; exchange best practices, implement controls framework improvements, and resolve common issues. Partners within Controllership teams and with cross-functional teams, to deliver short- and long-term cost savings, through consolidation, simplification, and technology
- Serves as a key partner and liaison with external and internal auditors, with respect to quarterly reviews and annual audits of financial statements and internal controls. Leads external financial audits and effectively represent TuSimple’s interests with auditors and regulators (i.e., SEC,PCAOB)
- Demonstrates professional integrity while operating under pressure by challenging the status quo and questioning ideas and decisions to ensure the accuracy of financial information that governs the decision-making process for both internal and external stakeholders.
- Provides strong leadership in the recruitment, training, development, and succession planning of top quality, ensuring the high level of performance and productivity. Builds morale, motivates and instills productivity and teamwork, creates and promotes a positive and supportive work environment. Creates a culture of continuous improvement for processes, systems, data, training, people, etc
Experience & Skills Required
Bachelor’s Degree or above in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration, Strategy, Corporate Finance, Management, or related field
- Certifications: CPA or equivalent (CGMA, CMA, CIA)
- 10 years finance/accounting experience, including experience working in a US publicly-listed company with international operations
- 3 years experience at the Business Unit Controller level or equivalent
- 2 year experience leading a large team (10+) of Accounting professionals at various levels
- Big 4 public accounting experience, highly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience executing on organizational vision and strategy
- Demonstrated ability to lead, inspire and motivate accounting teams to effectively and efficiently accomplish goals. Ability to create a sense of “team”
- Proven experience building and improving processes and promoting quality
- Superior knowledge and understanding of GAAP, SOX, consolidation, financial statement assertion, and accounting best practices
- Demonstrated ability to translate a company’s operational results and decisions into accurate accounting records
- Exceptional knowledge and understanding of effective internal controls structures, with proven ability to implement effective controls and associate principles across a highly-matrixed organization
- Proven ability to clearly link financial results to operational performance drivers, generate alternatives, and drive positive change
- Thorough understanding of financial internal controls and risk with proven ability to implement and refine internal controls inline with organizational needs
- Solid knowledge and understanding of global process and transactional flows & analytics (data collection, sub-systems, ledger)
- Proven ability to utilize and work within Netsuite, SAP, or other large ERP environments
- Experience with digital mid-layer technologies such as for process/workflow automation, data analytics and/or visualization(FloQast, Workiva, Alteryx, OneStream, Tableau, BlackLine, Teradata), preferred
- Intellectually curious with a strong bias to action
- Client focused and highly collaborative
- Flexible and enthusiastic approach to work assignments and new learning opportunities
- Charismatic leadership presences, with a strong ability to develop high-performing teams
- Critical thinker; able to evaluate and distill multiple streams of information, formulate and ask important questions, then make informed recommendations and/or decisions
- Strong financial, analytical, and business acumen, with ability to draw quick and accurate conclusions on opportunities and an obsession to act even with imperfect information
- Superior analytical and decision-making skills with established understanding of business implication of decisions
- Understands the importance of "big picture" thinking and planning. Able to apply business acumen to focus on key success factors for the organization
- Proven ability to deconstruct complex issues into straight forward recommendations and resolution
- Strong interpersonal skills; proven ability to quickly build trust and rapport with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Capable of effectively partnering with cross-functional teams to coordinate activities and accomplish goals. Proven ability to identify solutions to pain points
- Highly persuasive; can build rapport and effectively influence the actions and opinions of others at all levels of the organization. Able to effectively and respectfully challenge the status quo and drive change
- Superior understanding for the necessity and value of accuracy and attention to detail; ability to process information with high levels of accuracy
- Proven ability to seamlessly fluctuate work approach between being detail oriented/ hands on and operating at the conceptual/strategic level
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills. Capable of listening and obtaining clarification, changing approach or method to best fit the situation. Proven ability to present and engage with C-Suite and business leaders, delivering difficult messages as necessary.
- Proven ability to collaborate and effectively communicate as part of a team, while effectively managing and prioritizing multiple requests and complex projects simultaneously.
- Established history of taking a thoughtful action-oriented approach for meeting the demands of multiple internal customers and operational needs.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple concurrent assignments while meeting deadlines and demanding quality execution.
- Proven ability to work in a matrix organization, tech start-up experience preferred.
- Ability to maintain steady leadership throughout aggressive deadlines, changing priorities, and evolving operations, as common to progressive start-up environments
- 100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for you and your family
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner served every day
- Full kitchens on every floor with unlimited snacks, drinks, special treats, fruits, meals, and more
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Monthly team building budget
- Learning/education budget
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer-paid long and short disability
TuSimple is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above-listed items.
This opportunity is located in San Diego, CA. Remote friendly during Covid-19.
You can apply to the job with this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org