Come join a higher calling and find a deeper purpose!
As a multi-national Artificial Intelligence Technology Company, we are at the epicenter of the Autonomous Vehicle Universe. Our breakthroughs are leading the industry in autonomous trucking.
While inventing the framework of Autonomous Driving, our current fleet of autonomous Trucks are helping communities receive much-needed supplies and medical equipment around the clock. Our people are some of the most talented engineers and contributors who are leaving behind a historic legacy.
TuSimple was founded half a decade ago with the goal of bringing the top minds in the world together to achieve the dream of a driverless truck solution. With a foundation in computer vision, algorithms, mapping, and Artificial Intelligence, TuSimple is working to create the first global commercially viable Autonomous Freight Network.
TuSimple’s Director, Information Technology, defines, develops, refines, and leads the core internal information technology services at TuSimple, as well as numerous specialized and growing teams. One of the most critical areas of oversight is TuSimple’s network architecture; the Director, Information Technology utilizes robust technical expertise to provide strategic direction to the engineering team and managers responsible for designing, constructing, managing, and adapting high-availability network infrastructure. Beyond Network Engineering, the Director, Information Technology oversight also spans across End User Services, Client Technology Group (CTG), Compute/Storage/Virtualization, DevOps, and IT Business Administration.
The Director, Information Technology, is a highly proactive leader and anticipates business needs; sh/he quickly scales IT teams and functions including network infrastructure/systems, procurement/asset management, privacy, software applications, and user support services, as needed. The incumbent is highly collaborative and focused on building relationships across all departments in order to uncover additional ways that IT can facilitate a technological environment that allows for teams to produce their best work. The Director, Information Technology exemplifies and inspires a customer-centric approach across their portfolio, with an emphasis on delivering high quality services at a high velocity.
The Director, Information Technology is a focused, results-oriented leader capable of delivering across a number of initiatives, while remaining cognizant of the client experience, emerging technologies and cost-effectiveness. The incumbent’s technical expertise, business acumen, strong communication skills, and demonstrated experience with complex and quickly evolving organizations, all contribute to success in this position and enables operational excellence across numerous domains/functions.
- .Defines, and executes on, the tactical and strategic roadmap for the Information Technology group, which includes developing a cloud first strategic approach; accountable for portfolio projects and ensuring that service delivery is feasible, timely, on budget, and of maximum quality.
- Sets the technological strategic vision for TuSimple’s approach to network architectures; drives adherence to operationalization of strategies across the organization and drives adoption of new infrastructure technologies.
- Builds, leads, and grows Information Technology/Engineering teams across multiple locations, and develops and manages cross-functional partnerships throughout the organization, to meet the needs of the business.
- Spearheads scale hiring and establishes structure to support TuSimple’s growth for End User Services, Client Technology Group (CTG), Compute/Storage/Virtualization, Network Engineering, DevOps, and Business Administration teams.
- Provides strong leadership for the entire portfolio; scales IT functions and services to accommodate distributed and remote locations.
- Oversees all activities of server, storage, network, endpoint, and other technologies needed for modern, efficient, effective technology success.
Provides tactical and strategic direction for all components of Data Centers (on premise and cloud), Networks (voice, wireless, security, data), Servers and Storage, System Applications, and End User Services operations.
- Determines long and short-term strategies for the overarching group; working with Technical Lead Managers (TLM’s) sets measurable goals and objectives, and develops action plans with stretch goals.
- Leads efforts to standardize operations. Develops roadmaps and assesses upgrade needs, deferred maintenance, and risk to operating levels.
- Ensures 24x7x365 infrastructure/services to meet the high traffic needs and strive to eliminate downtime and improve the manageability of services.
- Determines change management strategies associated with implementations, upgrades, maintenance, and troubleshooting, as needed.
- Establishes and maintains service level agreements (SLA’s) to ensure the IT functions meet or exceed stakeholder expectations while adhering to compliance, financial reporting, and security controls.
- Ensures the seamless distribution of hardware and software. while establishing and maintaining robust and systematic procurement and asset management strategies/systems. Secures the availability for appropriate levels of equipment and licenses to meet business needs, while monitoring costs.
- Oversees the systems, structures, and procedures for the onboarding and offboarding of employees, as it related to IT hardware and software. Ensures End User Services teams consistently meet the needs of the business and the seamless execution of all onboarding and offboarding IT services.
- Defines the roadmap for Level 1 through Level 3 End User Services support, including the end-user computing environment to ensure end-user needs are met in a timely and effective manner.
- Builds and grows End User Services team/function, in collaboration with EUS Manager (i.e. helpdesk), supporting a global workforce, spread across multiple locations.
- Guarantees backup systems, disaster recovery, and network access.
- Researches and reviews industry trends and standards to benchmark services and strategies.
- Leads the development and validation of robust disaster plans through phases of growth and stability.
- Performs regularly scheduled audits to ensure consistency with global standards and compliance.
- Effectively manages relationships with vendors, outsourcers, and consultants-including contracts, service agreements, and escalations. Defines and maintains negotiated service levels to optimize delivery and cost.
- Establishes key performance indicators (KPI’s), objectives and key results (OKR’s), metrics and other health measurements. Tracks indicators against industry benchmarks and standards.
- Defines departmental annual budgets and maintains monthly financials forecast accuracy; proactively identifies and proposes ways to reduce operating expenses both within and outside direct lines of reporting hierarchies.
- Spearheads the evaluation of current and emerging technologies and industry/market trends to improve efficiencies, guarantee cost effectiveness, and enhance security; oversees the implementation of new systems and infrastructures.
- Presents to C-Suite leaders and technical decision makers, while providing appropriate thought leadership and creative insights when needed.
- Interfaces with clients and external stakeholders in order to provide updates, resolve issues and maintain these critical relationships.
- Fosters cross-functional team work and promotes collaboration, coordination and consistent communication among team members and stakeholders. Builds trusted relationships with partner teams, to ensure alignment with priorities.
- Provides leadership in the recruitment, training and development of top quality talent, ensuring high levels of performance and productivity. Builds morale, motivates and instills productivity and teamwork, creates and promotes a positive and supportive work environment. Identifies skill gaps and designs appropriate training and development plans. Creates a culture of continuous improvement for processes, systems, data, training, people, etc.
- Maintains strong emotional intelligence throughout aggressive deadlines, changing priorities, and evolving operations, as common to progressive startup environments.
Experience & Skills Required
- 10 years experience in Information Technology.
- 5 years experience building and managing IT infrastructure, systems, and services in high-growth companies.
- 2 years experience building and managing a network engineering/infrastructure/architecture team.
- Proven knowledge of, and experience with, IT infrastructure technologies, including server, desktop, storage, data center, networking.
- Broad range of networking engineering/architecture experience and skills, paired with the ability to understand project requirements and implement high-performance, highly available, cost-effective solutions.
- Previous experience with network design, installation and maintenance for service providers or large enterprise networks; a broad understanding of network theory, technologies and the operation of optical transport and IP network systems.
- Previous experience with large-scale production-level data center network design, implementation, maintenance, and monitoring.
- Solid conceptual understanding of advanced network technologies including MPLS L3 VPN, IPSec VPN, SD-WAN, VxLAN and SDN.
- Experience with contemporary data center technologies including Docker, Kubernetes, service orchestration/discovery and configuration management.
- Prior experience growing and supporting the internal IT presence during rapid scaling phases.
- Experience owning a budget and establishing and executing on technological roadmaps.
- Highly adept at assessing needs for 3rd party software and integrating with 3rd party service platforms.
- Substantial experience in a growth company with a substantial and dynamic engineering department.
- Established experience in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Robotics, Hardware, and/or high-tech environment.
- Direct experience managing servers (on-premise and cloud) including Windows/Linux, GCP, Azure, and AWS.
- Experience rolling out face-to-face support tech centers, ticketing systems, and Voice over IP solutions to meet internal customer support requirements.
- Knowledge of asset management methodologies.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills; ability to communicate conceptual ideas, engineering rationale, and technical challenges both verbally and visually, to a wide range of audiences.
- Knowledge of and experience with ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) disciplines.
- Familiarity with compliance and audit standards, including SOX and SOC 2.
- Knowledge of service architectures, distributed systems, and scaling business critical systems.
- Demonstrated experience executing on organizational vision and strategy.
- Experience managing highly distributed, high volume services with 24/7/365 operational needs.
- Experience with, and strong understanding of, Agile methodologies, SCRUM, and continuous improvement.
- Adept in leading IT and Engineering teams while ensuring regional compliance requirements are met.
- Experience building and leading high performance teams across multiple geographies.
- Keen ability to quickly drill down into issues in order to solve problems and take ownership of the resolution.
- Ability to partner cross functionally in order to drive complex strategic projects.
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to work to deadlines and successfully lead multiple initiatives.
- Fundamental knowledge of DevOps methodologies in a production environment
- Hands on leadership style with the ability to dive into technical details and act as a technical subject matter expert in an array of domains.
- Continuous improvement mindset; proactively looks for opportunities to increase efficiencies, refine processes and cut costs with internal IT processes, as well as throughout the business.
- Proven ability to create strategies that actualize organizational visions, promote innovation, manage risk, and guide change within a highly complex program.
- Demonstrated ability to build diverse teams, cultivate talent, and mobilize people in order to effectively and efficiently accomplish goals. Ability to create a sense of “team” despite different time zones.
- Exceptional interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills. Capable of listening and obtaining clarification, changing approach or method to best fit the situation. Able to effectively partner with cross-functional teams to coordinate activities and accomplish goals.
- Able to clearly and succinctly communicate verbally and in writing, translating technical jargon to correspond with the audience's knowledge and understanding.
- Strong presentation skills with the ability to confidently present to senior management, the Board of Directors and outside partners.
- Proven track record of effectively influencing the actions and opinions of others at all levels of the organization. Able to effectively and respectfully challenge the status quo and drive change.
- Demonstrated experience building and improving processes and promoting quality.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to coordinate multiple tasks/initiatives and support projects of varying complexity concurrently.
- Proven ability to work independently, under firm deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Superior analytical and decision-making skills with established understanding of business implication of decisions.
- Established history of taking a thoughtful action-oriented approach for meeting the demands of multiple internal customers and operational needs.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple concurrent objectives, while meeting deadlines and demanding quality execution.
- Proven ability to work in a matrix organization, tech start-up experience preferred.
- Ability to maintain steady leadership throughout aggressive deadlines, changing priorities, and evolving operations, as common to progresive start-up environments.
- Ability to seamlessly adapt work approach between being detail oriented/ hands on and operating at the conceptual/strategic level.
100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for you and your family
Work visa sponsorship available
Relocation assistance available
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner served every day
Full kitchens on every floor with unlimited snacks, drinks, special treats, fruits, meals, and more
Stock options / equity
Gym membership reimbursement
Monthly team building budget
Employer-paid life insurance
Employer-paid long and short disability
TuSimple is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above-listed items.