Autonomous Vehicle Technician - Shift Lead
With a foundation in computer vision, machine learning, and AI, TuSimple is revolutionizing the logistics industry by creating the first commercially viable L4 fully autonomous trucking solution. With this technology, we aim to create a world where commercial transportation is safer, cost-effective, and leaves a smaller carbon footprint.
The Autonomous Vehicle Technician Shift Lead will work with the Autonomy Operations Group to help build and maintain TuSimple’s fleet of autonomous class 8 semi-trucks. The position leads and participates in activities that span all disciplines that culminate in a self-driving truck including mechanical, electrical, computer systems, sensor, and calibration work.
- Schedule, assign, and oversee maintenance or manufacturing tasks to technicians
- Participate in daily sync meetings to provide vehicle condition updates
- Ensure tasks are completed in a timely and efficient manner with high quality
- Provide reporting on vendors and suppliers
- Organize and optimize workflow
- Inventory tools, condition, and request replacements as necessary
- Participate in technician work and demonstrate proper procedures to technician team
- Work closely with maintenance and manufacturing teams
- Monitor and track work within the ticketing system
- Collaborate with teammates to resolve and escalate issues
- Set calibration targets
- Prepare autonomous truck systems for data collection
- Assemble and troubleshoot sensors
- Ensure all sensors and systems are properly calibrated before release to testing teams
- Prepare autonomous truck systems for autonomous operation
- Understand, deploy and provide technical support for on vehicle infrastructure systems
- Ensure overall system health is measured, monitored, and perform root cause analysis
- Diagnose software system, and hardware failures
- Retrofitting vehicles with high tech autonomous vehicles technologies
- Removing and replacing interior panels
- Installing mounts and brackets for electronics such as server racks
- Tear down of non-essential interior elements such as seats and bunks
- Ability to use hand tools, precision tools, and larger tools such as drill presses.
- MIG and TIG welding a plus
- Electronic product assembly and debugging
- Lab inventory management and upkeep
- Cable assembly and modifications
- Vehicle Controls
- Scan and report any diagnostic trouble codes
- Update and scan transmission, engine, body, brake, adaptive cruise, and steering control modules
- Troubleshoot CAN wiring, autonomous engagement controls, brake, steering, and power distribution
- Other duties as required
Skills and Qualifications
- Certifications in IPC 610, IPC 620, IPC J-STD-001, experience in Circuit Card Assembly, Surface-Mount Technology
- Communication protocol knowledge such as RS-232, RS-422, UART, SPI, I2C, CAN, LIN, Ethernet
- Experience with DMM Digital Meter, LCR Meter, Signal Generator, Oscilloscope, and soldering
- Experience with torquing fasteners to specifications especially on large commercial vehicles
- Experience working with Linux
- Ability to follow work orders and work instructions
- Must be able to walk 75’ and climb a 10’ ladder
- Must be able to bend, kneel, twist, squat, stand and climb as required to secure load.
- Ability to lift, carry, move, push, and/or pull up to 50 pounds.
- Requires standing, stretching, walking, stooping, pushing and/or pulling in an outdoor environment.
- Requires use of safety equipment that may include non-slip shoes, gloves, and other protective garments and equipment.
- Cross training in other technical areas
- Work with world class AI Engineers
- Shape the landscape of autonomous driving
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Bonus/paid vacations/insurance
- Daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Full Kitchen with unlimited snacks and fruits
- Medical, Vision, and Dental insurance plan
- Company 401(K) program
- Company paid life insurance
Tusimple is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law. Hiring, transferring and promotion practices are performed without regard to the above-listed items.