We're looking for a Senior Corporate Counsel to join our growing, collaborative, and fun legal team. Reporting directly to the Chief Legal Officer, this is a unique opportunity to lead and build out the corporate function at a fast growing startup. As a senior member of the Legal team, you will work closely with colleagues across multiple internal functional groups on a wide range of corporate matters, including capital raising, corporate governance, securities, M&A, and management of corporate subsidiaries. You will also work closely with our Executive Team and Board of Directors on all corporate matters. This job can be based either at our headquarters in San Francisco, CA or our Phoenix, AZ office.
- Own the corporate legal function as we build towards public company readiness.
- Directly manage our to-be-hired stock administrator and partner with our Corporate Controller’s team to ensure a best-in-class program.
- Be responsible for corporate governance matters, including materials for board and committee meetings, resolutions, and minutes.
- Build processes and playbooks to help scale Turo’s corporate development activities.
- Oversee and ensure compliance with obligations under federal securities laws and other applicable rules and regulations, including, when and if the time comes, preparation and filing of 10-Ks, 10-Qs, 8-Ks, proxy statements, Section 16 reports and 1934 Act filings, including leading and filing all securities documentation in collaboration with the finance team.
- Draft and review corporate communications and other public disclosures.
- Oversee capital raising, mergers and acquisitions, and other strategic transactions, including by coordinating internal teams and managing due diligence activities.
- Work with cross-functional teams to lead and manage diligence activities, structure and effect acquisitions, and successfully integrate acquired companies.
- Collaborate with the finance team on governance and compliance matters, including audits, financial reporting, and SOX compliance and certifications.
- Support international expansion efforts, including subsidiary formation and maintenance and inter-company structure.
- Provide legal advice and support on other transactions and corporate maintenance activities of the company.
- Advise on legal issues relating to investor relations.
- Provide support to HR on employee matters, including compensation issues and employee agreements.
- Creatively configure solutions and provide advice for sound business decisions in view of relevant legal compliance requirements and risks.
- Help to develop, implement and continually improve company and team processes and procedures.
- Effectively manage and collaborate with outside counsel as needed.
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school and licensed to practice in California/Arizona, or the ability to apply for California's/Arizona’s Registered In-House Counsel.
- 8+ years of relevant experience, including 4+ years of corporate and securities work at a major law firm; in-house experience at a public company preferred but not required.
- Prior people management experience preferred.
- Excellent management skills and business judgment with a capacity to make decisions and give advice.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with high initiative, flexibility, and team approach to work
- Advanced analytical ability, attention to detail, strong organizational skills, and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Self-starting, proactive, driven, adaptable person who can, with poise and patience, prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Willingness to roll up sleeves (no job too big, no job too small) and collaborate cross functionally.
- Able to participate in developing company strategic and operational goals, and work closely with business teams in their operational execution.
- Ability to identify and analyze legal issues, draft key documents, and present clear recommendations
- Must be aligned with our Turo values of being pioneering, down-to-earth, efficient and supportive.
- Competitive salary and equity for all full-time employees
- Employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance and 401k match
- Flexible paid time off, 9 paid holidays, paid volunteer time off, and paid parental leave
- Turo host matching and vehicle reimbursement program
- Monthly Fringe benefits stipend
- Monthly Turo travel credit
Turo is the world’s largest car sharing marketplace where you can book any car you want, wherever you want it, from a vibrant community of trusted hosts across the US, Canada, and the UK. Guests choose from a totally unique selection of nearby cars, while hosts earn extra money to offset the costs of car ownership. A pioneer of the sharing economy and the travel industry, Turo is a safe, supportive community where the car you book is part of a story, not a fleet. Discover Turo at https://turo.com, the App Store, and Google Play, and check out our blog, Field Notes.
Turo has raised $500M to date from top-tier investors, including IAC, Daimler AG, Kleiner Perkins, GV, Canaan Partners, August Capital, and Shasta Ventures.
Turo cultivates a tight-knit team of smart, critical thinkers who care about their work and their colleagues. Our recruiting team is always on the lookout for supportive, down-to-earth, pioneering, and efficient candidates to grow our team's talent and enrich our culture.
Read more about the Turo culture according to Turo CEO, Andre Haddad.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. When in doubt, please apply!