We are looking for a pioneering, mission-driven, and supportive Director of Engineering to lead our data engineering efforts. Data is our fuel and inspiration at Turo. It is ever-more abundant and valuable, but it's raw material. Harnessed by data scientists, engineers and analysts, data propels Turo on our mission. Do you love building and organizing data on platforms at scale? Be the leader of our small but growing team of data engineers and play a key role in driving a business that is changing how people travel and think about car ownership.
At Turo, you will have the opportunity to lead and build a team of data engineers working towards building a data platform that scales well with our fast growing business built on technologies that are performant, modern, and efficient. You will have the opportunity to architect a scalable and performant Data Model, build robust data pipelines supporting analytics, data scientists and software engineers for running large computationally intensive data processing with short SLAs. In this role, you’ll partner closely with software engineers, data analysts, and data scientists to power analytical data products, experimentation, and machine learning models.
- Collaborate extensively with engineers, data scientists, and analysts to deliver the next generation of our data infrastructure.
- On a daily basis, you’ll work with members of the team to update our data engineering roadmap and execute upon those initiatives
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members.
- Build plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your organization.
- Work closely with the Turo recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds.
- Guide the team building a new technology stack for highly scalable and available data pipelines using the latest technologies
- Design canonical data models for various business domains. Formulate a vision to connect all data in the Turo ecosystem
- Establish SLOs for Data Availability and Performance working with cross functional stakeholders
- Establish standards and processes for incremental changes to data models
- Establish best practices to monitor availability, security, scale and cost-effectiveness of the data platform
- Ensure our users privacy with data security automation
- 6+ years of data platform/engineering experience
- 2+ years of people / team management experience
- As a passionate and confident leader, you take pride and ownership in the work you and your team do.
- You have a bias for action, using the best available data to justify your actions and perspectives, and make decisions that move the business forward.
- You can effectively hire, mentor, and develop career plans for engineers of all levels.
- You lead by example, holding yourself to the same standards you set for your team.
- You are a strong communicator: sharing knowledge upward, downward, and across the organization. You relish a regular cadence of one-on-one discussions with each team member.
- You have a deep understanding of Data Modeling, ETL processes and have a clear vision for a scalable data platform
- You have successfully built and deployed a streaming or batch processing data pipelines with a focus of its performance, scalability and reliability using big data tools such as Airflow and Spark
- You bring extensive experience with data modeling, data integration, database design, data analysis, and data migration
- You have a deep understanding of the AWS ecosystem including Redshift, DMS and RDS
- You have familiarity with the GCP Data Solutions including BigQuery.
- You have a strong programming experience. Preferably Python.
Turo is the world’s largest car sharing marketplace where you can book any car you want, wherever you want it, from a vibrant community of trusted hosts across the US, Canada, the UK, and Germany. Guests choose from a totally unique selection of nearby cars, while hosts earn extra money to offset the costs of car ownership. A pioneer of the sharing economy and the travel industry, Turo is a safe, supportive community where the car you book is part of a story, not a fleet. Discover Turo at https://turo.com, the App Store, and Google Play, and check out our blog, Field Notes.
Turo has raised $450M to date from top-tier investors, including IAC, Daimler AG, Kleiner Perkins, GV, Canaan Partners, August Capital, and Shasta Ventures.
Turo cultivates a tight-knit team of smart, critical thinkers who care about their work and their colleagues. Our recruiting team is always on the lookout for supportive, down-to-earth, pioneering, and efficient candidates to grow our team's talent and enrich our culture.
Read more about the Turo culture according to Turo CEO, Andre Haddad.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. When in doubt, please apply!