Turo is a peer-to-peer car sharing marketplace where guests can book any car they want, wherever they want it, from a nationwide community of local car owners.
We are a group of creative, mission-driven, data nerds, environmentalists and car enthusiasts who want to put the world’s 1.2B+ cars to better use. We do this by using data to serve our customers delightful experiences by matching them with the right car for their next adventure while keeping our marketplace safe.
You are a technologist who feels passionately about data and empowering your co-workers by democratizing it. You live and breathe data quality and feel comfortable building scalable systems and developing processes to ensure a high bar on it. To this end, you are well-versed with the latest data engineering technologies and have built platforms to query, process and analyze data at scale as batches or streams.
You demonstrate ability to understand the big-picture, articulate what needs to be done and execute on it; you are an effective partner who listens well and incorporates others' feedback. You can identify organization’s needs and come up with a vision for your area to address them while collaborating cross-functionally. In doing this you can ruthlessly prioritize to handle multiple projects with tight deadlines. You are equally comfortable around code and people.
You have a passion for consumer products, shipping code, and data focused experiments and you are excited to play a key role in crafting a platform from inception to implementation and beyond.
- Take full ownership over the data strategy and roadmap for data platform while leading a team of data engineers, software developers and devops engineers
- Recruit and grow the team, provide technical leadership
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain & document solutions for challenging data-driven problems with robust, scalable, reusable, efficient, production-quality software
- Working with stakeholders across the business to understand their requirements, and build infrastructure consisting of large-scale data and machine learning pipelines, data storage
- Ownership of data quality and accuracy
- Research and incorporate emerging software infrastructures, tools, and technologies, especially pertaining to data processing
- Usher and evangelize adoption of engineering best-practices and methodology
- Minimum 7+ years experience building production level software systems
- Have built and led team of ~30 software, data and devops engineers
- Expert in relational and non-relational data systems
- Experience in architecting and building large-scale batch processing pipelines using Big Data tools such as Hadoop, Spark, Cassandra, etc.
- Knowledge of streaming technologies ideally in Kafka, Kinesis, Spark etc.
- Experience with Dev Ops especially CI/CD pipelines using docker containers and orchestrated using Kubernetes
- Having experience building and scaling out data infrastructure
- Demonstrable track-record of learning and deep-diving as needed into complex existing and new technologies
- Team-player with a strong collaboration and communication skills, who is able to motivate and mobilize cross-functional teams, and respond positively to feedback
- Experience working in a rapid growth environment that requires flexibility and continuous innovation
- Trusted to own large initiatives (or series of projects) from definition through execution with the successful outcome never seriously in doubt
- Experience in deploying and scaling machine learning algorithms into production environments on cloud platforms e.g. AWS, GCP etc. as services
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Apple equipment
- Four weeks paid time off, 11 paid holidays, volunteer time off, paid parental leave
- Weekly catered lunch
- Stocked kitchen and beverages
- Company-sponsored happy hours and team events
- Turo owner matching and vehicle reimbursement program
- Turo travel credit every month
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. When in doubt, please apply!