We’re looking for an experienced database engineer who has a healthy obsession with Tumblr. You’ll help make one of the largest MySQL installations on the web (ours!) perform better at scale for the millions of people who depend on it every day. That means you really have to understand the trade-offs between performance and storage.
What you’ll do:
- Manage the hundreds of servers and instances in our existing infrastructure.
- Make problems go away with automated tools like Puppet and Jetpants.
- Improve system monitoring.
- Keep a running performance benchmark so we can make decisions based on data, not guesswork.
- Optimize query latency and caching patterns for high volume and high density databases.
What we’re looking for:
- Several years’ experience managing large MySQL/InnoDB installations on Linux.
- Scripting expertise with Ruby, Python, etc.
- Great skill in data modeling and SQL (which means knowing the tradeoffs between performance and storage).
- Success building the tools and automation needed for a small number of engineers to manage a large number of different databases.
Tools we like:
- Percona MySQL (XtraDB)
- Redis, Memcached
- PHP5, Scala, Ruby