We have the desk, we ordered the chair, now we need a Director of Product Analytics. The job of the Product Analytics team is to collect and analyze user activity on Tumblr. The job of the Director is to set team priorities, keep the team running smoothly, evaluate the team’s performance, assess new technology that the team can use, and foster a culture of data appreciation at Tumblr.
What you’ll do:
- Collect, analyze, and report on the progress of long-term company goals as articulated by the leadership team.
- Turn data collection and analysis into actionable recommendations for product features.
- Hold regular meetings with engineering, product and leadership teams to share new data and analysis, and help make data a cornerstone of decision making in the company.
- Improve data extraction and analytics methodologies to expedite product testing.
- Be the team’s liaison to Product Managers. Provide them with information about how features are being used and suggest opportunities to improve engagement.
- Serve as the main point of contact for people who need your team’s expertise.
- Set the team’s long- and short-term priorities, and make sure they’re aligned with company goals.
- Create an environment in which your team members are continuously challenged and exposed to new opportunities.
- Make sure your team has all the resources it needs to operate effectively, and clear out any obstacles that might be getting in their way.
What we’re looking for:
- MS Degree in a quantitative field (eg. Mathematics, Economics, Statistics, Computer Science).
- 5 years of experience in consumer-facing product analytics, especially social media and user interaction data analysis.
- Minimum 3 years managing a team.
- Experience using multiple models and methods for measuring, analyzing, and reporting on user interaction data.
- Someone with drive, who feels a strong sense of ownership, and actively seeks out new opportunities.
- An effective manager and communicator who can articulate a clear direction for the team, set expectations for performance, and foster a positive working environment.
- A coach and mentor who sets an example for the team and encourages new ideas.
- Patience, a sense of humor, and an equal willingness to teach and learn.