We're looking for an organized, team-oriented self-starter who can help the Data Science team to optimize our use of Databricks, Spark, and AWS services for building machine learning models at scale. The machine learning models are deployed on Android and iOS mobile devices and on AWS services in our backend - both of which are co-developed with engineers on our platform and mobile teams. You will improve data ETL pipelines, design and manage databases that support research and development, support testing of machine learning models for product releases, and own the software frameworks we use to deploy our models in production. You will have close collaboration with data scientists, mobile developers, platform engineers, and QA engineers. The ideal candidate for this role will have prior experience with ETL pipelines at scale, building scalable, maintainable, secure backend code, and also understands fundamental concepts of unit testing, automation, and continuous delivery.
- Ensure we deploy scalable machine learning infrastructure that allows the team to balance cost and speed
- Build infrastructure to enable the Data Science team to deliver new models faster. Design and create tooling to improve efficiency of feature engineering, model training, validation
- Provide recommendations on current research to help drive towards solutions that will scale from a cost and performance perspective
- Build infrastructure to monitor the performance of machine learning models at scale, including models deployed on mobile devices
- Keep abreast of latest trends in training, deployment and mobile applications of machine learning
- Help to lay out software architecture across mobile, backend and research domains. Understand backend and mobile systems and how they collect and transmit data to ensure our models get what they need
- Build test plans for vetting the deployment of new models across backend and mobile
- 2+ years in backend engineering
- Knowledge of Big Data infrastructure and networking software, e.g. Databricks, Spark, S3
- Knowledge of software development process, and ability to code in scripting languages for data manipulation e.g. Python, Pandas, NumPy, scikit-learn and SQL
- Design and document systems, including writing and reviewing code, to automate away problems within your squad’s domain
- Good coding skills in at least one programming language, and a desire to pick up more. We work primarily in Python, with smatterings of shell scripting
- Understanding of AWS services
- Experience with Linux
- Database (RDBMS & NoSql) schema design
- Experience using EC2, Lambda, Dynamo, RDS (PostgreS), S3, Kinesis
- Experience with Docker, NGiИX, PostgreSQL, Consul and/or Cassandra.
- Experience building scalable data processing systems for production environment.
- Experience with deep learning frameworks e.g. TensorFlow, Keras, Torch, Caffe, for data networking, visualization and performance
- Ability to navigate code, request data from data sources and code for bug fixes.
- Actively seeks feedback and resolve discrepancies with senior team members.
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Stock options
- Comprehensive benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k)
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Feel great working to solve a serious problem (distracted driving)
- Touch your toes thanks to our daily post stand-up meeting team stretch
- Burn some calories during our optional weekly fun-run around the Boston waterfront
- Get to really know your coworkers over a drink and snacks every Thursday afternoon
- Have fun at our frequent team outings, where we go to Red Sox games, volunteer to clean-up the Esplanade, etc.
At TrueMotion we build solutions that make driving safer, lower cost, and more fun. We use the smartphone as a sensor and machine learning to turn phone data into driving data. We believe distracted driving is a solvable problem and partner with insurance companies and other relevant organizations to drive change (pun intended). We are a band of entrepreneurs dedicated to our mission and having fun at our office on Fort Point Channel!
TrueMotion is backed by General Catalyst, Bain Capital Ventures and Lakestar. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.