Senior Compliance Counsel
Remember the days when the phone rang and you didn’t know who it was? If it was the company you always dreamt working for? A call from a hospital trying to tell you someone close to you got sick? Or just that stubborn sales guy.
Our mission is to make it possible for you to know who’s trying to contact you, and also tell you when not to pick up. We want to remove all uncertainty, making your communication safe and efficient by separating the important stuff from the noise and create trust, no matter if it’s in the beginning of a call, in the middle of a transaction or at the end of a signature. We are building a platform which empowers our users to take control of their own digital identity and making their communication more safe and efficient.
We are a Diverse organisation with over 90 of the best minds coming from different backgrounds, joining hands to ensure our vision of building trust everywhere.
Truecaller is one of the fastest growing tech companies in the world. We have 100 million daily active users around the world with the strongest presence in South Asia, Middle East and North Africa.
We are backed by some of the most prominent investors in the world such as Sequoia Capital, Atomico, and Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers.
The Legal function plays a key role in the continued success of Truecaller. We work very closely with management, the product and business teams as well as other functional teams to support Truecaller’s continued growth, while at the same time ensuring compliance with legal requirements and internal control. The existing team has three attorneys, two of which are based in Bengaluru.
As a Senior Compliance Counsel you will be handling Truecaller’s legal and compliance matters. You will report to the VP General Counsel based in Sweden and work in close collaboration with multiple Business Owners in different parts of the world with the following main responsibilities:
- Ensure that our Insurance and Non Banking Financial Company entities are compliant with Indian regulations including filings and liason with regulators as necessary
- Coordination of company secretarial activities
- Coordinating with law enforcement authorities to comply with statutory / regulatory requests
- Managing data privacy matters and ensuring compliant and transparent use of data including monitoring changes to the regulatory environment and implementing necessary actions internally
- Drafting and negotiating commercial contracts in multiple markets
- Creating templates and improving processes
- Data licensing agreements
- Review of product functionality and new product features and design to ensure it aligns with legal requirements
In addition, there will be a myriad of other legal matters to be handled that crop up from time to time which makes working here even more challenging and fun as one day will never be the same as the next.
Key competencies and personality:
- Excellent organizational skills and time management
- Strong skills in analyzing and interpreting advanced contractual relationships and monitoring the regulatory environment in which we operate
- A strong sense of personal integrity and good personal judgement
- A passion for tech and mobile innovations
- A positive, energetic and collaborative attitude sharing the value of having fun at work
- Proactive, hands-on and operational
- A team player committed to create value every day
You enjoy working in a diverse and entrepreneurial setting
Required Education and Experience:
- Law school degree from India with a minimum of seven years' relevant working experience as an in-house counsel and/or from reputable law firms
- Strong knowledge and skills in commercial law with an emphasis on IT-related matters
- Knowledge and experience of insurance and NBFC regulations or ability to scale up rapidly
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills
- Fluent in English, written and orally, additional Indian language skills are an advantage
Further advantages include experience from:
- Education and work in an international environment including US and Europe
- Data protection and privacy laws generally and in India in particular
- Qualification as a Company Secretary in India will be a bonus though not a prerequisite
- High growth and start-up ventures
- Multinational companies within Teleco /Internet /Media /Digital Technology sector.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Truecaller is an equal opportunity workplace and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, and gender identity.
At Truecaller we have built a dynamic and diverse culture where we are keen to take ownership of what we are doing, learn and develop ourselves and are willing to share their knowledge with others. We love to experiment with new tools and technologies to push the envelope and be able to deliver the best product to our users and we believe that failure is halfway to success. At Truecaller you will find challenges and a team with passion for what we do.