About Trove Recommerce
Recognized in 2020 by FastCo as one of the world's most innovative companies, Trove powers resale for the world's most inspired brands and retailers. We provide brands with the technology and logistics to own the secondary market for their products. With our white-label capabilities, our partners reap the rewards of managing their own resale market by accelerating long-term revenue, increasing customer loyalty, gaining new customers and boosting store and site traffic. Resale is a revenue and customer engagement opportunity growing at 5 times the rate of e-commerce and 21 times the rate of traditional retail. We power in store and online retail for leaders such as Patagonia, REI, Eileen Fisher, Arc’teryx, and Levi's.
About the Data Engineer
In this role, you will support a team of data analysts and data scientists who are solving brand new problems in the fastest-growing segment of the retail industry. As a Data Engineer, you will be responsible for developing best practices, making architectural decisions to improve critical data processing & analytics pipelines, and building a platform to support our production machine learning systems. You will work to improve our data platform’s reliability, resiliency, and scalability in order to support our data analysts and data scientists directly, and all of our data stakeholders indirectly.
In this position, you will report to the VP of Data, as part of a 7-person data team that includes analytics, data science, and data engineering. Our team is empowered to solve problems and make business recommendations independently, but also collaborates to design creative solutions to tough problems, offer and receive constructive feedback, and pair on thorny technical challenges. Our current data tooling includes Redshift, AWS DMS, Stitch, dbt, Looker, Terraform, Ansible, and Docker; we’ll be implementing Airflow or Prefect in the near future.
Trove has a culture that values excellence, integrity, and creative solutions. We are looking for team members who respect each others’ differences, pursue solutions to hard problems, learn from our mistakes, and challenge the status quo. The Trove team and our partners are working to grow a segment of the retail industry that is truly a win-win - our partners can grow their business, gain new customers, and make retail more sustainable by giving their products a second (or third, or fourth) life.
- Interface with data engineers, data scientists, and all data stakeholders to understand their needs and promote best practices
- Design the data infrastructure architecture to enable delivery of machine learning insights at scale
- Extend and optimize the current ELT pipeline to help assemble complex data sets to address a diverse set of business and data analytics requests. We use off the shelf solutions like Stitch and Fivetran where we can, but occasionally need to build custom integrations as well.
- Evolve tools and processes to enable the data team to monitor daily execution, diagnose and log issues, and fix pipelines to ensure SLAs are met with internal stakeholders
- Vet tools and technologies for the most viable solution for each problem at hand. Manage tools and data vendors involved.
- Participate in ensuring code and data quality within the data team. Partner with analysts to fine-tune queries around large, complex data sets.
Projects might include…
- Partner with Data Scientists to design, develop and implement scalable container-based architecture for delivering batch and online machine learning inference.
- Work with a cross-functional team to design and implement a secure data sharing platform that will allow us to push customer data, including PII, to our partner brands and retailers.
- Partner with full stack engineers to build data tools, such as an experimentation platform, for analytics and data scientist team members.
As for necessities, ...
- You are energized by the thought of working across a wide array of technologies, project types, and stakeholders.
- You have a product-focused mindset. You enjoy digging deep into business requirements and architecting systems that will scale and extend to accommodate those needs.
- You have experience building and optimizing cloud data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- You have strong overall programming skills, and are able to write modular, maintainable code (preferably Python).
- You have a deep understanding of SQL, dimensional modeling, and analytical data warehouses, like Redshift or BigQuery.
- You have experience architecting a CI/CD pipeline for containers and microservices.
- You take a pragmatic approach to decision making and design choices.
- You have strong communication skills, including communicating complex technical information to a non-technical audience.
- You thrive on autonomy and have experience driving long-term, cross-functional projects to completion.
Bonus points if you...
- Experience with the specific tools we currently use
- Experience working with machine learning systems
Trove is proud to be an equal opportunity company and is an affirmative action employer. We believe that diversity and gender balance will help us reach our potential. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status. We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.