TripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel site, is devoted to helping travelers have great experiences. Our website and mobile apps provide our users with a rich user experience to research, collaborate, and contribute.
We are looking for a passionate Data Warehouse Analyst to join the Flights Analytics team and help us guide, build, manage, and maintain the infrastructure and systems needed to analyze the massive amount of data that we collect. Your talent and efforts will contribute to driving Flights traffic and revenue growth for TripAdvisor.
This is a hands-on job for someone who wants to help solve important business problems that depend on “big data” analysis. The job requires both serious technical chops and effective communication skills. Sometimes you will build the solution yourself, and sometimes you will be coordinating the efforts of others, but at all times you will be expected to think creatively about solving the business problem.
What You’ll Do
- Study and understand the business processes and data needs for TripAdvisor Flights, related to diverse business areas such as website product development, back end web and native app operations, financial planning and forecasting, business development, and marketing.
- Apply the requirements to design, build, and support the components of the Flights data management systems, such as data marts, ETL processes, tables, reports, and reporting environments.
- Collaborate with analysts, product managers, and developers to translate business questions and data requirements into specifications for detailed website tracking and logical data models.
- Test and verify tracking for new product features from the live site all the way downstream to reporting.
- Propose and create processes for capturing and maintaining metadata. Recommend ways to reduce manual work and recover efficiency.
- Use internally developed tools to create new or enhance existing ETL workflows.
- Propose and create QA plans, anomaly detection measures, and validation to spot and correct errors in the data. Ensure that data loaded into the warehouse systems is accurate.
- Assemble performance statistics, analyze them, and make recommendations for improvements.
- Establish system documentation and ensure it is continually sustained.
- Operate in a highly iterative agile development environment, delivering significant new functionality every week.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, with expertise in algorithms, data structures, and software engineering.
- Three years of work experience in database systems.
- Solid RDBMS operational knowledge and outstanding SQL skills.
- Experience using Hadoop/Hive and writing efficient Hive queries a plus. Experience with developing Oozie jobs is also a plus.
- ETL expertise.
- Experience with data modeling and architecture.
- Experience with Jira and/or an agile development cycle is a plus.
- Comfortable with source control systems: GIT and Subversion.
- Because this is Analytics, you have a natural affinity for math, especially for statistics.
- Excellent research, analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to understand and communicate business needs. Strong listening skills (important for communicating to technical and nontechnical team members).
- Ability to work with and support multiple stakeholders.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong sense of responsibility, leveraging others, owning the problem.
- Pride in your work, knowing you are helping people build a great company.
- And you love, and we mean love, data.