TripAdvisor Japan is seeking a unique person to support all the strategic quantitative and qualitative research needs of the local team. This is an exciting opportunity to develop the research roadmap and strategize, execute, and deliver primary and secondary research that will provide the team with key narratives, compelling information, and the facts and figures needed to build better products and drive user growth and traffic in Japan.
The Senior Research Manager will spend time planning and designing all aspects of research, including the management of research proposals, vendors and internal resources, objectives and methodologies, costs, final deliverables and appropriate application of the research output. Ultimately, the Research Manager will drive quantitative and qualitative results to provide actionable insight into various online advertising categories, audience data and global travel trends.
To be successful in this role you need to be an experienced researcher with a strong, working understanding of how to integrate qualitative and quantitative research methodologies. You know exactly when to engage with teams across Design, Product, Engineering, and Marketing, and what questions to ask, where to probe, and how to implement the most effective research strategies. You thrive in a fast-paced environment and enjoy setting your own research goals, managing load and expectations, and delivering actionable research findings and recommendations. And you’re passionate about TripAdvisor and online travel and believe that great experiences are always inspired by a deep understanding of the user.
- Work with Engineering, Product, and Marketing teams to build in research at multiple stages of the product development process
- Help to develop and track quantitative measures of user experience (goals, metrics)
- Partner with the product team to identify where we should evaluate ideas, concepts, and existing experiences, and assist the team in making critical design decisions affecting the user experience
- Design the appropriate approach for a wide variety of user experience questions
- Collaborate on and deliver qualitative research on users and UI design for new products
- Deliver timely and tangible findings and prioritized feature recommendations
- Balance company goals and business needs with user needs
- Help product teams more deeply understand our users and our competition
- Manage all research proposals, vendors and leverage internal resources to set clear objectives, methodologies, and communicate costs and deliverables
- Drive quantitative and qualitative results to provide actionable insight into various online sectors, audience data patterns and regional and local travel trends
- Develop reports and analytics that help target consumer segments and define site users
- Create a catalogue of current digital trends to be used on the fly: Online vs. Offline spend; By vertical- hotel, OTA’s, Automotive, Finance, etc.; Photo, Video, Social usage
- Strategic research initiatives include (though not limited to) custom primary research engagements focusing on channel attribution and advertising efficacy, the definition of TripAdvisor user segments, and the analysis of user site behavior to support new products or travel industry trends.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Statistics, Social Science or related field
- 5+ years conducting user experience research and/or market research
- Ability to convey complex data in an accessible and meaningful way to non-quantitative audiences
- Strong oral, written communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Proven organizational and time management skills
- Fluency in English and Japanese
In addition, the ideal candidate will possess the following competencies:
- Openness to change, new information and ability to adapt to different work environments and personalities
- Recognizes own strengths and weaknesses
- Ability to collaborate with others, build trusting relationships and deliver projects on time and within budget
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Sense of corporate responsibility and commitment
- Ability to express business cases in a clear and compelling manner
- Excellent business acumen
- Intellectual curiosity and willingness to collaborate with other departments and varying levels of staff management
- Ability to take minimal direction, effectively lead projects and motivate others