SmarterTravel, a TripAdvisor Company, offers travelers a portfolio of travel sites to help them find the right trip at the right price. We are a team of passionate professionals who push and drive and innovate like a start-up, but we also have a track record of success and we benefit from being a part of a large, public company.
The SmarterTravel Predictive Analytics team works closely with product and data science to deliver solutions to both our external partners as well as our internal teams. We’re responsible for not only ingesting, cleaning and storing large volumes of data, but also for building the processing capabilities to deliver classifications and recommendations in real-time that deliver real value.
As a Principal Engineer at SmarterTravel, not only will you get your hands dirty day in and day out building the products that run our business, you’ll also work to define and execute the vision for our technology platform to ensure we are poised for continued success. As a technical leader, you’ll set the example for our engineering teams by delivering efficient, high quality code on a consistent basis.
- Work closely with a small team to power real-time predictive solutions for both our partners and our internal sites
- Define, design, and develop technologies with highly scalable, performant, and fault tolerant architectures
- Provide oversight through code and design reviews for features delivered by other developers on the team
- Act as a thought leader and work to drive institutional change in software development practices at SmarterTravel
- Provide mentorship to team members to grow SmarterTravel’s next generation of engineering leadership
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of software development experience, including experience acting as a technology leader within an organization.
- Strong interpersonal skills, intense curiosity, and an enthusiasm for solving difficult problems.
- Organized, self-motivator, great communicator and detail-oriented.
- In-depth knowledge of Java, OO programming, and modern web applications built on distributed service architecture (Strong competency in Spring is a plus)
- Solid experience in designing high-scale, fault-tolerant and performant distributed applications (Experience with Kafka or equivalent streaming technology strongly desired)
- Experience working with large datasets (terabyte scale and growing) and familiarity with various technologies and tooling associated with big data
- Strong knowledge and expertise in developing for cloud environments
- Systems performance and tuning experience, with an eye for how systems architecture and design impacts performance and scalability
- Comfortable working in a Linux CLI environment
- Exposure to and/or interest in machine learning and data science highly desirable.
At SmarterTravel, we have built an open & collaborative environment and we hire the people we want to work with (not just the ones with the right qualifications), but who also think different to us and challenge the status quo. We empower people, giving the support and autonomy needed to succeed. We embrace data to make decisions and overcome obstacles. We choose speed over perfection, but not at the expense of quality. We do what we do well, but we’re always looking to make it better. Let us know if you’d like to help.
SmarterTravel is an equal opportunity employer and evaluates applicants regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or musical preferences. We think a diverse team builds a better product.
*** This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization. ***