Viator seeks an experienced Data Science Director to build and lead our data science and machine learning team, as well as lead thinking on rebuilding our data science tech stack. The ideal candidate has the expected technical chops, but also the ability to influence and collaborate with peers across the business to ensure that data science permeates our thinking and our product. You must have a passion for Data Science and the business opportunities it can unlock. You have worked in cross-functional teams and understand the importance of balancing science and research with the right metrics and impact.
As Director of Data Science, you'll design and grow our Data Science organisation working closely with Product and Engineering leaders to craft a Data Science strategy and roadmap that aligns closely with our Product strategy and roadmaps.
This role will report to the VP of Product.
You Will Be Leading a High-impact Team Who
- Fully drives our Sort & Recommendations strategy, as well as partners with stakeholders across the business to maximize business objectives using data science
- Owns the algorithms for the Viator brand and the strategy around them
- Build solutions to solve concrete business challenges varying in size and scope (from basic heuristic models to more complex ML models)
- Balances time between long-term projects and real-time firefighting
What You Will Do
- Establish a vision and roadmap for the data science team, in alignment with the company and product vision.
- Lead a team of data and machine learning scientists
- Partner with Engineering to create and execute vision for data science and machine learning platform that will enable speed and scale
- Deliver consistent impact in a fast-paced, data-driven and high-growth business
- Communicate easily and regularly with non-technical audiences.
- Craft stories that sell the opportunities, limitations and investments needed to fully realize the potential of data science
What You Will Bring To The Team
- 7+ years of experience in data science and AI
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a data science or machine learning leader
- An interest to leverage data more to improve YoY revenue than to build the perfect model; preference for MVP + Iteration
- Desire to have direct and visible impact on the business
- PhD or Masters in a quantitative field
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills.