We believe that we are better together, and at Tripadvisor we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Tripadvisor, we want you to bring your unique identities, abilities, and experiences, so we can collectively revolutionize travel and together find the good out there.
Tripadvisor is the world’s largest travel website, and we have a LOT of data! With over 1 billion reviews, opinions, photos, and videos, reaching an audience of hundreds of millions worldwide each month. We are a data driven company, and our data infrastructure forms the foundation.
Across Tripadvisor, we’ve worked hard to create a great environment for engineers - minimizing process, shipping products quickly, and doing everything to avoid big company paralysis. This is a very bottom-up organization; there are no software architects thinking deep thoughts and directing the action from above. We trust our engineers to come up with, implement, and take responsibility for their own designs.
Do you like building products and features end to end? Do you like working with a wide variety of technologies? Do you like moving quickly, releasing features daily, and collaborating with other smart and talented engineers? If this sounds like you, we’d love to talk.
In this role, within the data platform engineering group, you will help us design, build, and operate our data services infrastructure which is at the core of our data-driven culture.
What you’ll do
- Take responsibility for the quality of the code produced.Take responsibility for all aspects of software engineering, from design to implementation, QA, and maintenance.
- Operate across our evolving technology stack - Java, Kotlin, React, SQL, Cassandra, Hive, Spark, Snowflake and more.
- Touch code at every level – from the UI, through backend microservices and down to the database with a focus on back-end development.
- Collaborate closely with Product, Data Engineering, Machine Learning, Analytics as well as other functional teams to define feature specifications and develop high-quality deliverables for our customers.
- Work with technical leadership to make strategic technology decisions
- Mentor engineers in all aspects of professional software development
- Help make Build vs Buy decisions for key infrastructure
- Work alongside other engineering groups located around the world (US, Lisbon, UK, etc.).
What we are looking for:
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Proven record of innovation via non-trivial solutions to day-to-day problems
- 7+ years of experience developing for large-scale, full life-cycle, software applications
- 7+ years of experience developing complete JVM-based (or equivalent) applications, preferably for large distributed systems.
- Hands-on knowledge of the modern AWS Data Ecosystem, including AWS Glue, AWS Athena, AWS Kinesis, AWS S3, and AWS Lambda
Nice to have:
- Experience developing ETL processes and streaming data pipelines; including defining SLAs and performance monitoring·
- Experience with frontend technologies (React, GraphQL, etc.)
- Strong interpersonal skills, intense curiosity, and enthusiasm for solving difficult problems.
- Organized, self-motivator, great communicator and detail-oriented
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Familiarity with big data modeling and tools (Spark, Hive, Snowflake, Big Query, Presto,etc)