We believe that we are better together, and at Tripadvisor we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Tripadvisor, we want you to bring your unique identities, abilities, and experiences, so we can collectively revolutionize travel and together find the good out there.
TripAdvisor is the world’s largest travel website, and we have a LOT of data! With over 1 billion reviews, opinions, photos, and videos, reaching an audience of hundreds of millions worldwide each month. We are a data driven company, and our Data Infrastructure forms the foundation.
The Data Infrastructure team at Tripadvisor is responsible for maintaining our petabytes-scale Data Lake, and the ecosystem of tools surrounding it. We are looking for talented engineers and leaders to help us take it to the next level!
The ideal candidate will bring software expertise in designing, building, and scaling large distributed platforms. Our stack is a multi-cloud architecture including open-source Hadoop cloud, Snowflake, AWS technology, and a colorful ecosystem of house-built distributed tools. A successful engineer on our team will be able to solve complex problems in a hybrid environment, working with a team spanning multiple time zones.
What You’ll Do:
- Provide engineering expertise and leadership in a hands-on capacity for a polyglot, multi-cloud data software team
- Design and build complex, cloud-native, distributed systems with an organization-wide impact
- Touch code at every level, from microservices, to logging infrastructure, to the data lake and beyond
- Work with technical leadership to make strategic technology decisions
- Partner with stakeholders to provide a world-class Data Platform
- Be responsible for code quality on your team
- Mentor engineers in all aspects of professional software development
We are looking for an engineer with demonstrated excellence leading cross-functional engineering teams in fast-paced, data-driven environments as both a technical leader and a hands-on coder. You can drive results within a strong and talented engineering team, and have a solid track record of project delivery. You are a leader who can prioritize, communicate clearly, and partner effectively with both technical and non-technical employees. The TripAdvisor Data Platform team requires both innovation and strong technical contributions.
You should have:
- Bachelor of Science or above in Computer Science or related field
- A solid foundation in computer science, with strong competency in data structures, algorithms, and multiple programming languages
- 10+ years of experience developing for large-scale, full life-cycle, software applications
- 10+ years of experience developing complete JVM-based (or equivalent) applications, preferably for large distributed systems.
- Experience in improving the development and operational environment enabling faster development cadence, improved automation, reduced operational intervention, and more efficient response
- A proven track record of technical leadership and team work on large projects
- In-depth and hands-on knowledge of the modern AWS Data Ecosystem, including AWS Glue, AWS Athena, AWS Kinesis, AWS S3, and AWS Lambda
- Experience in the Open Source Data Stack is a huge plus, including Apache Flink, Apache Spark, Trino, and Apache Hadoop/Hive
- Experience in modern cloud DevOps is a huge plus, including Cloud Formation, Terraform, and AWS CDK
In this role, you will be building software to transform our data platform, which supports data operations at petabyte scale. We prefer an engineer who has experience working with data at scale or someone who has a strong motivation to lean into data.
- 2+ years of hands on experience as a Principal level software engineer
- Experience in building and operating stream-based data applications with low latencies
- Experience in building and operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion and processing of large data sets
- Familiarity with commercial cloud data warehouse solutions such as Snowflake
*This role gives the flexibility to work from home and/or the office.
We strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please make sure to reach out to your individual recruiter or our team at email@example.com.