We believe that we are better together, and at Tripadvisor we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Tripadvisor, we want you to bring your unique identities, abilities, and experiences, so we can collectively revolutionize travel and together find the good out there.
Tripadvisor is the largest travel site in the world, visited by over 500 million travellers each month.
The Oxford office is looking for a software engineer to join our fast-growing team, working across the Tripadvisor family of brands.
We have a fun and friendly environment where the key objective is getting things done. Our engineers are part of the full process from design, to code, to test, to deployment and back again for further iteration.
Across Tripadvisor, we’ve worked hard to create an atmosphere of “Speed Wins” – minimising process, shipping products quickly and doing everything to avoid big company paralysis. This is a very bottom-up organisation; there are no software architects thinking deep thoughts and directing the action from above. We trust our engineers to come up with, implement and take responsibility for their own designs.
Do you like building features end to end? Do you like working with a large number of technologies? Do you like moving quickly, releasing features daily, working with other smart and talented engineers? If this sounds like you, we’d love to talk to you.
What you’ll do
- Code! Within the first week your code will be on the production website. We have a daily release cycle and most of our engineers release code to production every few days.
- Learn! You’ll be assigned a dedicated line manager and work alongside skilled engineers with a wide range of backgrounds and experiences.
- Collaborate! We have engineering groups located around the world. We’re working with teams in Lisbon, the US and Australia, as well as with third parties.
- Operate across our evolving technology stack - across Tripadvisor we’re developing with Java, React, SQL, TypeScript, GraphQL and more. You don’t need to have experience with everything listed but you do need to be hungry to learn.
- Take responsibility for all aspects of software engineering, from design to implementation, QA and maintenance. You will work closely with more senior engineers who will help define projects and rely on you to deliver key components of them.
- Touch code at every level – from the UI, through backend microservices and down to the database.
- Collaborate closely with Product and design teams to define feature specifications and develop high quality deliverables for our customers.
What we’re looking for
- At least 2 years’ experience of commercial software development, with experience developing in Java.
- Familiarity with Linux.
- Ability to design and query relational databases.
- Computer Science degree or equivalent experience.
- Willingness and ability to take on new technologies.
- Ability to break down complex problems into simple solutions.
- Strong analytical skills and desire to write clean, correct and efficient code.
- High quality verbal and written communication skills.
- Sense of ownership, urgency and pride in your work.
What you’ll get
- Highly competitive salary along with the following
- Annual bonus
- Excellent contributory pension
- Full family private medical cover
- Full dental cover
- Annual wellbeing allowance (e.g. gym membership)
- Personal travel reimbursement
- Critical illness plus full life cover
- Employee assistance program
We strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please make sure to reach out to your individual recruiter or our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.