Who we are
We believe that we are better together, and at Tripadvisor we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Tripadvisor, we want you to bring your unique perspective and experiences, so we can collectively revolutionize travel and together find the good out there.
TripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel site, operates at scale with over 500 million reviews, opinions, photos, and videos reaching over 390 million unique visitors each month. We are a data driven company that leverages our data to empower our decisions. Tripadvisor is extremely excited to play a pivotal role in supporting our travellers. With travel plans dashed in early 2020, many people have been dreaming about their next big holiday for more than a year, so it’s no surprise that travellers are extra conscious of getting it just right when they travel. Helping to play an important role in enabling travellers is an amazing opportunity over the next year and beyond.
Our data engineering team is focused on delivering TripAdvisor’s first-in-class data products that serve all data users across the organization. As a member of the Data Platform Enterprise Services Team, you will collaborate with engineering and business stakeholders to build, optimize, maintain, and secure the full data vertical including tracking instrumentation, information architecture, ETL pipelines, and tooling that provide key analytics insights for business-critical decisions at the highest levels of Product, Finance, Sales, CRM, Marketing, Data Science, and more. All in a dynamic environment of continuously modernizing tech stack including highly scalable architecture, cloud-based infrastructure, and real-time responsiveness.
TripAdvisor provides a unique, global work environment that captures the speed, innovation and excitement of a startup, at a thriving, growing and well-established industry brand.
We take pride in our data engineering and are looking for a talented and highly-motivated engineer with a passion for solving interesting problems to add to our high-performing team.
What You Will Do
- Providing the organization’s data consumers high quality data sets by data curation, consolidation, and manipulation from a wide variety of large scale (terabyte and growing) sources.
- Building data pipelines and ETL processes that interact with terabytes of data on leading platforms such as Snowflake and BigQuery.
- Developing and improving our enterprise data by creating efficient and scalable data models to be used across the organization.
- Partnering with our analytics, data science, CRM, and machine learning teams.
- Responsible for enterprise data integrity, validation, and documentation.
- Solving data pipeline failure events and implementing sound anomaly detection
What we seek
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline
- 4+ years of data engineering or general software development experience
- Experience working with large datasets (terabyte scale and growing) and familiarity with various technologies and tooling associated with databases and big data
- Relational DB (PostgreSQL/MySQL)
- Big Data (i.e. Hadoop, Hive, BigQuery, Snowflake)
- Demonstrated proficiency in data design and data modeling
- Experience in developing complex ETL processes from concept to implementation; these should include defining SLA, performance measurements and monitoring.
- Proficiency in query language and data exploration skills, proven record of writing complex SQL queries across large datasets.
- Systems performance and tuning experience, with an eye for how systems architecture and design impacts performance and scalability
- Strong software engineering principles
- Experience in functional programming in Python or in an equivalent language
- Self-paced, organized, and detail-oriented person with a strong sense of ownership
- Strong communication skills to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Ability to break down complex problems into simple solutions.
- Strong interpersonal skills, intense curiosity, and an enthusiasm for solving difficult problems.
Nice to Have:
- Experience with data governance
- Exposure to and/or interest in machine learning and data science specifically to help solve day-to-day problems and reach objectives in an innovative way
- Experience working with task orchestration tools, Airflow or similar systems
- Experience in programming languages such as Java or equivalent
We strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please make sure to reach out to your individual recruiter or our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.