We believe in championing the diverse perspectives, experiences, voices, and abilities of our employees, travelers, candidates, business partners, and industry peers. This inspires us to think bigger, act more fearlessly, improve constantly, and always remember – we are better together.
Tripadvisor is the world's largest travel site, and we operate at scale with over 750 million reviews, opinions, photos, and videos reaching over 490 million unique visitors each month. We are a data driven company, and we have lots and lots of data!
The Data Platform team at Tripadvisor is responsible for maintaining our petabytes-scale data lake and the ecosystem of tools that surround it. We are looking for talented engineers to help us take it to the next level!
The ideal candidate will have hands-on operational experience with Big Data technology. Our stack is a hybrid open-source Hadoop cloud, house-built distributed ETL tools, and AWS cloud technologies that help to drive the analytics of the company. A successful engineer will be able to solve problems in a complex and distributed hybrid-cloud environment while working on a team that spans multiple time zones.
What you will be doing:
- Writing code! This is an engineering role, after all
- Using your expertise to build the kinds of tools that expand the modern Big Data ecosystem
- Working with a team of talented engineers to identify the shortcomings in Big Data technologies
- Leading cloud engineering best practices and developing cloud-first solutions to Big Data challenges
- Moving quickly to create today's solutions to tomorrow's problems
What you will bring to the team:
- 3+ years of in-depth technical experience with modern open-source Big Data technologies such as Hadoop, Hive, Presto, and Spark
- 3+ years of in-depth technical experience with AWS cloud tools such as S3, EMR, Athena, and CloudFormation, including deploying, configuring, and monitoring such platforms
- Familiarity with the Linux operating system and the Bash shell
- General software engineering expertise; Java is preferred, but we also write a lot of Python and Kotlin
- The ability to communicate effectively in an operations environment
- Willingness to "get your hands dirty" in a modern Big Data environment
What you’ll get
- Highly competitive salary along with the following
- Annual bonus
- Excellent contributory pension
- Full family private medical cover
- Full dental cover
- Annual wellbeing allowance (e.g. gym membership)
- Personal travel reimbursement
- Critical illness plus full life cover
- Employee assistance program