We believe that we are better together, and at Tripadvisor we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Tripadvisor, we want you to bring your unique identities, abilities, and experiences, so we can collectively revolutionize travel and together find the good out there.
We believe in championing the diverse perspectives, experiences, voices, and abilities of our employees, travelers, candidates, business partners, and industry peers. This inspires us to think bigger, act more fearlessly, improve constantly, and always remember – we are better together
Tripadvisor is the largest travel site in the world, visited by over 500 million travelers each month.
The Ottawa office is looking for a Senior Software Engineer with leadership experience to join our fast-growing engineering team. We have a fun and friendly environment where the key objective is getting things done. Our engineers touch code on every level and are part of the full process from design, to code, to test, to deployment and back again for further iteration.
Across Tripadvisor, we’ve worked hard to create an atmosphere of “Speed Wins” – minimizing process, shipping products quickly and doing everything to avoid big company paralysis. This is a very bottom-up organization; there are no software architects thinking deep thoughts and directing the action from above. We trust our engineers to come up with, implement and take responsibility for their own designs.
Do you like building features end to end? Do you like working with a large number of technologies? Do you like moving quickly, releasing features daily, working with other smart and talented engineers? If this sounds like you, we’d love to talk to you.
What you’ll do
- Code! Most of our engineers release code to production every few days and we have a daily release cycle.
- Mentor and lead more junior developers.
- Take responsibility for the quality of the code produced by you and the team including unit and integration testing
- Take responsibility for all aspects of software engineering, from design to implementation, QA and maintenance.
- Touch code at every level – from the UI, through backend microservices and down to the database.
- Collaborate closely with Product and design teams to define feature specifications and develop high quality deliverables for our customers.
- Work alongside other engineering groups located around the world - We have teams in the UK, US and Australia and regularly work with third parties.
What we’re looking for
- At least 8 years’ experience of commercial software development with Java (8/11), including leadership experience.
- Background in developing scalable code for high-volume systems utilizing memory management, heap profiling and optimization.
- Experience with microservices architecture and API-driven development using tools such as JSON, REST APIs, GraphQL, Kubernetes, Swagger.
- Ability to design and query relational databases (PostgreSQL, Jooq)
- Computer Science degree or equivalent experience.
- Ability to break down complex problems into simple solutions.
- Strong analytical skills and desire to write clean, correct and efficient code.
- High quality verbal and written communication skills.
- Sense of ownership, urgency and pride in your work.
- Willingness and ability to take on new technologies (i.e Elastic, Redis, Memcache, Jetty, NGINX, AWS, Big data (hive, Kafka), NodeJS).
What you’ll get
- Highly competitive salary along with the following
- Annual bonus
- Excellent contributory pension
- Full family private medical cover
- Full dental cover
- Annual wellbeing allowance (e.g. gym membership)
- Personal travel reimbursement
- Critical illness plus full life cover
- Employee assistance program