We believe that we are better together, and at Tripadvisor we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Tripadvisor, we want you to bring your unique identities, abilities, and experiences, so we can collectively revolutionize travel and together find the good out there.
We believe in championing the diverse perspectives, experiences, voices, and abilities of our employees, travelers, candidates, business partners, and industry peers. This inspires us to think bigger, act more fearlessly, improve constantly, and always remember – we are better together
TripAdvisor is the largest travel site in the world, visited by over 500 million travellers each month.
The Oxford office is looking for a senior software engineer to join our fast-growing team.
This role gives the flexibility to work from home and the office.
We have a fun and friendly environment where the key objective is getting things done. Our engineers are part of the full process from design, to code, to test, to deployment and back again for further iteration.
Across TripAdvisor, we’ve worked hard to create an atmosphere of “Speed Wins” – minimising process, shipping products quickly and doing everything to avoid big company paralysis. This is a very bottom-up organisation; there are no software architects thinking deep thoughts and directing the action from above. We trust our engineers to come up with, implement and take responsibility for their own designs.
Do you like building features end to end? Do you like working with a large number of technologies? Do you like moving quickly, releasing features daily, working with other smart and talented engineers? If this sounds like you, we’d love to talk to you.
What you’ll do
- Code! Most of our engineers release code to production every few days and we have a daily release cycle.
- Mentor and lead more junior developers.
- Take responsibility for the quality of the code produced by you and the team.
- Build solutions with a wide variety of technologies. Our stack includes Java, React, Docker, Kubernetes, GraphQL, SQL and NoSQL databases, all running on Linux and in AWS.
- Take responsibility for all aspects of software engineering, from design to implementation, QA and maintenance.
- Touch code at every level – from the UI, through backend microservices and down to the database.
- Collaborate closely with Product and design teams to define feature specifications and develop high quality deliverables for our customers.
- Work alongside other engineering groups located around the world.
What we’re looking for
- At least 8 years’ experience of commercial software development.
- A history of web development with a first class object-oriented language such as Java or C#.
- Good understanding of web front-end technologies (HTML, CSS, JS). Exposure to current frameworks such as React is an advantage.
- Ability to design and query relational databases.
- Willingness and ability to take on new technologies.
- Strong analytical skills and desire to write clean, correct and efficient code.
- High quality verbal and written communication skills.
- Sense of ownership, urgency and pride in your work.
- Ability to break down complex problems into simple solutions.
- Background in developing scalable code for high-volume systems.
- Computer Science degree or equivalent experience.
What you’ll get
- Highly competitive salary along with the following
- Annual bonus
- Excellent contributory pension
- Full family private medical cover
- Full dental cover
- Annual wellbeing allowance (e.g. gym membership)
- Personal travel reimbursement
- Critical illness plus full life cover
- Employee assistance program