TripAdvisor is the largest travel site in the world, visited by over 500 million travellers each month.
The Lisbon office is looking for an experienced Junior software engineer to join our fast-growing team.
We have a fun and friendly environment where the key objective is getting things done. Our engineers are part of the full process from design, to code, to test, to deployment and back again for further iteration.
Across TripAdvisor, we’ve worked hard to create an atmosphere of “Speed Wins” – minimising process, shipping products quickly and doing everything to avoid big company paralysis. This is a very bottom-up organisation; there are no software architects thinking deep thoughts and directing the action from above. We trust our engineers to come up with, implement and take responsibility for their own designs.
Do you like building features end to end? Do you like working with a large number of technologies? Do you like moving quickly, releasing features daily, working with other smart and talented engineers? If this sounds like you, we’d love to talk to you.
What you’ll do
- Code! Most of our engineers release code to production every few days and we have a daily release cycle.
- Take responsibility for the quality of the code you produce.
- Operate across our evolving technology stack - we’re developing in Java, React, SQL and more.
- Take responsibility for all aspects of software engineering, from design to implementation, QA and maintenance. You will work closely with more senior engineers who will help define projects and rely on you to deliver key components of them.
- Touch code at every level – from the UI, through backend microservices and down to the database.
- Collaborate closely with Product and design teams to define feature specifications and develop high quality deliverables for our customers.
- Work alongside other engineering groups located around the world.
What we’re looking for
- At least 2 years’ experience of commercial software development, with experience developing in Java. (Some roles require Python experience as well.)
- Good experience of web front-end technologies (HTML, CSS, JS).
- Familiarity with Linux.
- Ability to design and query relational databases.
- Computer Science degree or equivalent experience.
- Willingness and ability to take on new technologies.
- Ability to break down complex problems into simple solutions.
- Strong analytical skills and desire to write clean, correct and efficient code.
- High quality verbal and written communication skills.
- Sense of ownership, urgency and pride in your work.
What you’ll get
- Annual bonus.
- Highly competitive salary along with the following
- Excellent contributory pension.
- Full family private medical cover.
- Full dental cover.
- Annual wellbeing allowance (e.g. gym membership).
- Personal travel reimbursement.
- Critical illness plus full life cover.
- Employee assistance program.