TripAdvisor provides a unique, global work environment that captures the speed, innovation and excitement of a start-up, at a thriving, growing and well-established industry brand. At TripAdvisor, you will be part of a dynamic, fun, and energetic team where you can immediately make meaningful contributions.
The TripAdvisor Localization team is looking for an experienced Language Manager to manage language quality and local-market expertise for the Japan point of sale. In this role, you will be in a unique position to make a meaningful impact on the travel experience of Japanese travellers by working closely with internal and external stakeholders and partners to create the best localized Japanese experience for TripAdvisor users in this market.
The role is based in TripAdvisor’s Tokyo office and occasional travel to other TripAdvisor offices should be expected. The role is part of the Localization organization and reports into the Localization Program Manager based in London.
- Own all aspects of language quality for Japanese, in line with the wider TripAdvisor localization best practices
- Engage with relevant stakeholders across TripAdvisor code and content writers, translation vendors and Localization Operations to ensure the right language quality on priority content types with scalability in mind
- Establish and maintain Japanese-specific language assets and localization best practices
- Proofread all translation in line with TripAdvisor’s LQA plan to verify that it is correct for TripAdvisor’s requirements; identify linguistic issues and work with the rest of Localization and APAC product teams to resolve
- Ensure language quality across all platforms by establishing plans for QA testing of Japanese-specific features, in line with TripAdvisor QA strategy
- Support the business goals for the Japanese market
- Proactively identify issues and opportunities to improve the Japanese TripAdvisor experience, and work with the APAC product team and other stakeholders across the company (e.g. SEO/SEM/Search & Discovery) to address them. This will include competitor research; optimizing keywords, creatives and on-page factors; improving search/typeahead, etc.
- Gain deep knowledge and awareness of data on the Japan travel market, drive innovative solutions to define language quality expectations (through e.g. consumer insight research, A/B testing and LQA framework) for highest impact or articulating the qualitative impact of bugs on the Japan market
- Bring Japan user experience insights (attitudes, opinions, and behaviors) into the product development process to help the business better achieve its goals in the Japan market. This includes e.g. working with internal and external researchers, translating surveys and survey results or participating in user research
- Minimum of 4 years translation and proofreading experience in Japanese for the Japan market in the online space
- Native Japanese speaker and fluent in English
- Strong native language skills, with marketing translation and transcreation experience (experience with web localization a plus)
- Ability to show initiative and to work independently in a local office and remotely as part of an international network. Takes ownership of projects and programs for which s/he is responsible and can be relied upon to ensure that work is completed in an appropriate and timely manner
- Thrives in a fast-paced, data-driven, team-oriented environment
- Deep understanding of localization industry best practices and end-to-end localization processes
- Understanding of localization tools and language quality management methodologies (experience with the DQF model and with GlobalSight, or similar TMS, would be a plus)
- Eager to embrace the business requirement of translation at different levels of quality
- Excellent presentation, articulate verbal and written communication and great interpersonal skills
- Strong business acumen and proven experience of managing and influence internal stakeholders; considers the relevance/impact of each decision on the business
- Experience in creative writing and media/journalism a plus
- Knowledge of the travel industry and trends for Japan a plus
In addition, the ideal candidate will demonstrate the following competencies:
- Flexible and open to change and new information; adapts behaviour and work methods accordingly
- Proactively solves problems; distinguishes between relevant and irrelevant information
- Recognizes own strengths and weaknesses; pursues self-development; seeks feedback. Acknowledges mistakes, learns from those events and is able to move forward productively
- Exhibits integrity through fair and ethical behaviour toward others and a demonstrated sense of corporate responsibility and commitment. Treats stakeholders with respect: considers and responds appropriately to the needs, feelings, and capabilities of different people
- Ability to balance time-to-market with a solution and make the right trade-offs along the way
- Strong analytical skills: understands and utilizes metrics relevant to role
- Strives to achieve the highest level of internal client satisfaction, quality and efficiency