TripAdvisor is the largest travel site in the world, visited by over 455 million travelers each month.
The Oxford office of the Rentals and Experiences group is looking for software engineering interns to join our team for summer 2020.
A TripAdvisor internship provides real world experience as part of a world-class engineering team, along with an excellent salary and other perks.
Our work supports hundreds of thousands of travelers each day booking attractions and holiday homes across the globe.
We are responsible for the entirety of the marketplace: suppliers, owners, travelers, finance and customer support. We build and maintain the underlying systems that power the common supply platform as well as all of the points of sale and customer service tools.
We have a fun and friendly environment where the key objective is getting things done. Our engineers are part of the full process from design, to code, to test, to deployment, and back again for further iteration.
Across TripAdvisor, we’ve worked hard to create an atmosphere of “Speed Wins” – minimizing process, shipping products quickly, and doing everything to avoid big company paralysis. This is a very bottom-up organization; there are no software architects thinking deep thoughts and dictating the action from above. We trust our engineers to come up with, implement, and take responsibility for their own designs.
Do you want to build features end to end? Do you want to work with a large number of technologies? Do you want to work in an environment where things move quickly, features are released daily and you’re working with other smart and talented engineers? If this sounds like you, we would love to talk to you.
What you’ll do
- Code! Most of our engineers release code to production every few days, and we have a daily release cycle.
- Real work! From day one, TripAdvisor interns work on the same tasks as our main Engineering team.
- Learn! You’ll be assigned a dedicated mentor and work alongside skilled engineers with a wide range of backgrounds and experiences.
- Collaborate! We have engineering groups located around the world. We’re working with teams in the US and Australia, as well as with third parties.
- Operate across our evolving technology stack - we’re developing in Java, PHP, React, MySQL, and more.
- Take responsibility for all aspects of software engineering, from design to implementation, QA, and maintenance.
- Touch code at every level – from the UI, through backend microservices, and down to the database.
- Collaborate closely with Product and Design teams to define feature specifications and develop high quality deliverables for our customers.
What we’re looking for
- Students working towards a degree in Computer Science or a similar discipline. You do need to be confident writing code in at least one object-oriented language.
- Willingness and ability to take on new technologies. You do not need to have experience with everything listed above, but you do need to be hungry to learn.
- Ability to break down complex problems into simple solutions.
- Strong analytical skills and desire to write clean, correct, and efficient code.
- High quality verbal and written communication skills.
- A sense of ownership, urgency, and pride in your work.
- People who can dedicate 10 weeks between May and September 2020.