TripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel site, operates at scale with over 760 million reviews, opinions, photos, and videos reaching over 490 million unique visitors each month. We are a data driven company, and we have lots and lots of data!
The Data Warehouse team at TripAdvisor maintains our petabyte-scale data infrastructure that enables data scientists, engineers, and PMs to get the most value from our wealth of data. The infrastructure consists of maintaining core parts of TripAdvisor’s tracking infrastructure, data lake, and ETL solutions. The team continues to enhance the platform to a near-real time processing capability that runs at scale across multiple environments.
The ideal candidate will have experience developing production-quality software for large-scale distributed environments. Our technology stack is a hybrid of open-source Hadoop and house-build distributed platforms, as well as AWS based solutions such as Snowflake. A successful engineer will understand how to efficiently build an infrastructure capable of ingesting tracking data from one of the largest web sites and enable it to be efficiently used by hundreds of internal customers across diverse warehouse and analytics platforms.
What you will be doing:
- Writing code! This is an engineering role, after all.
- Working with a team of engineers to develop Big Data (tracking and warehousing) solutions.
- Touching multiple levels of code (From the Database, to the UI if necessary) to bring these solutions to production.
- Following engineering best practices, and encouraging others to do the same.
- Moving quickly to create today’s solutions.
What projects you could be working on:
- Our log streaming platform which processes multiple TB of log data in real time, built on Samza and Kafka.
- Our cross-platform workflow management tool, which operates ETLs across multiple databases, data lakes, and storage environments, built from the ground up to support our incredibly diverse data ecosystem.
- Our data governance platforms, which work to keep our systems healthy, our data sanitary, and our costs low.
- New projects, which will better integrate our platforms and hybridize our on-premises systems with those on AWS.
What you will bring to the team:
- 7+ years of Software Engineering experience.
- 5+ years of in-depth technical experience with Big Data technologies such as Hadoop, Hive, Presto, Kafka, or Spark.
- Previous experience with Amazon Web Services technology, including S3, EMR, Glue, and Athena.
- Comfort developing in a Linux environment.
- Technical leadership, and the ability to drive a large project to release.
- Ability to communicate in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Willingness to "get your hands dirty" with Big Data.