TripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel site, operates at scale with over 500 million reviews, opinions, photos, and videos reaching over 390 million unique visitors each month. We are looking for engineers that will build experiences and solutions that leverage TripAdvisor’s wealth of global travelers, technical resources, data and tools to create the best user and advertiser experiences in the world of travel.
The CoreX Business unit is focused on the traveler’s experience and journey. We are using our data to help people have amazing and safe trips as they travel the world. The CoreX data engineering team are the experts in our data landscape at TripAdvisor, building out and maintaining truths to enable CoreX to empower travelers across the world finding the best hotels, the best restaurants, and the best experiences they can have!
We are looking for an engineer that can help build a core TripAdvisor platform services that need to scale beyond 100,000 requests a second across multiple data centers and regions. Our team is re-engineering TripAdvisor’s analytics and visitor infrastructure from tracking, user analytics and tooling. The job requires a user to work across multiple of TripAdvisor’s core technologies and stacks at very large scale.
What you will do:
- Write code…it’s an engineering role, after all.
- Work with your team, as well as other groups like product management, design, plus others, to bring your projects to fruition.
- Touch whatever level of code required in order to complete your project.
- Be creative and pragmatic when solving the problem you are working on.
- Move quickly. We have a weekly release so build it and ship it!
- Be responsible for all aspects of software engineering, from design to implementation, QA and maintenance
What you will bring to the team:
- A want to learn and an open mind, the desire to move quick, an understanding that done is often a better option for us than perfection.
- 5+ years of large scale, full life cycle development experience
- Operational mindset to build / deploy / monitor production systems.
What you’d like you to learn or have some knowledge of already:
- Work with data technologies such as Cassandra, Hadoop (HDFS, Hive, Map/Reduce, EMR), Spark, Snowflake, Presto, Kafka / Samza, BigQuery, etc.
Above all, have a strong sense of responsibility: taking pride in your work, leveraging others, owning the problem, and wanting to build a strong team atmosphere.