TripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel site, operates at scale with over 700 million reviews, opinions, photos, and videos reaching over 390 million unique visitors each month. We are a data driven company that has lots and lots of data and we are looking for a new Technical Manager for our Data Warehouse team.
The Data Warehouse team is responsible for building and managing the infrastructure and tools that enable the rest of the company to interact with the petabytes of data in our data lake. Our mission statement is to create a new world-class analytics infrastructure for TripAdvisor. The desired individual will not just be able to lead a team responsible for handling the day-to-day operational responsibilities of the Data Warehouse team but also for creating a vision of how we move our analytics infrastructure forward enabling the rest of the TripAdvisor organization to perform cutting edge data science, machine learning, data analysis, forecasting, etc.
We strive to always use the best tool for the job. Our current infrastructure is a combination of:
- 200+ node HDFS / Yarn cluster on-prem (primarily we use Spark and Hive for processing and data storage)
- Presto cluster
- Kafka / Samza based near-real-time streaming ETL cluster
- AWS EMR
The job requires both serious technical chops and management skills. You will provide technical leadership in an environment that moves fast, collaborates between teams and team members, and support a vital piece of company infrastructure.
We are looking for someone with a strong sense of responsibility: taking pride in your work, leveraging others, owning the problem.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent
- 8+ years of large scale, full life cycle development experience
- In-depth technical experience with big data technologies such as Hadoop (HDFS, Hive, Map/Reduce), Spark, Kafka/Samza
- Experience managing big data systems in a cloud setting is a plus
- General software engineering and programming experience; most of our larger projects are in Java, but we also have lots of scripts in Python, Bash.
- Linux experience
- Ops / DevOps experience is a plus
- ETL and SQL expertise is a plus