TripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel site, is looking for a talented senior analtyics engineer to join our TV Analytics Engineering team in Ottawa.
In this role, you’ll work alongside our TV Media and TV Data Science teams to support large-scale data analytics and tooling. As an Analytics Engineer, you will be a hands-on contributor working to drive better efficiency across our TV and Digital Video Media team while keeping the 1s and 0s flowing.
As the world’s largest travel site, TripAdvisor has big data: over 702 million reviews, opinions, photos, and videos, reaching over 490 million unique visitors each month, in 49 localized markets. Our group is all about using metrics and code to solve business problems that move the company forward in a meaningful way. TripAdvisor is well known for having an extremely strong engineering organization – you’ll be working with the best and getting stuff done, in a fast growing area of an incredibly profitable, growing, fun company. If this sounds exciting to you, we'd love to hear from you.
You are an entrepreneurial developer who has shown leadership, creativity, curiosity, flexibility and understands the trade-off between technical perfection and business constraints and objectives. You have significant professional experience and can iterate with peers and stakeholders to deliver high-quality work quickly. You are fluent in analyzing data and don't trip on edge cases. You can extract meaning and insights from data, and discuss with both technical and non-technical audiences. You perform extensive QA (not just code review) on your own work before delivering it to stakeholders. You are able to put together comprehensive specs that explain and justify your work. You are interested in playing a bigger game at a large global company, doing work that will challenge you to grow and improve your skills within a strong engineering organization. How far you go here is limited only by what you can demonstrate.
- Processing and analyzing piles of data while always thinking about how to extract meaning
- Developing and supporting our internal toolset
- Optimizing code for performance and stability
- Being responsible for all aspects of software engineering, from design to implementation, to QA and maintenance
- Promoting best practices and ensuring solid coding standards
- Working side-by-side with engineers at all levels from new graduates to industry veterans
- All the other stuff that comes up… we all wear a lot of hats
- You have a BS or MS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent experience, as well as at least 10 years in industry
- You have a strong foundation in data structures & algorithms, with solid programming and problem-solving skills
- You have experience with coding in Python; Perl, Java, and R experience is a plus
- You have extensive experience with data query languages (such as SQL), query optimization, schema design, and applicable theory
- You’re at home on the Unix command line and dream in regex
- You have excellent interpersonal, analytical, and communication skills and are at ease with both technical and non-technical colleagues
- You want to work in a rapidly changing, collaborative, and iterative development environment
- You have an overwhelming desire to write and champion quality code
TripAdvisor is an Equal Opportunity Employer