TripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel site, operates at scale with over 500 million reviews, opinions, photos, and videos reaching over 390 million unique visitors each month. We are a data driven company, and we have lots and lots of data! The Hotels Business unit is building out its dedicated data engineering team that will be our experts in our data landscape, building and maintaining the core truths that enable our product, marketing, sales, and engineering teams to analyze and drive our business forward.
We are looking for an experienced, hands-on data engineer to help us leverage the massive amount of data that we collect so that we can better understand how to guide each traveler to those experiences that are right for him/her.
We need to build data marts. We need to build traffic models. We need to build business models. We need to analyze the way travelers use our site/app. We need to leverage the significant internal resources that do data mining and machine learning to build recommenders. We need to analyze data and make sure it’s correct and clean. We need to get this data into the hands of the rest of the business.
This is a hands-on job for someone who wants to solve important business problems that depend on “big data” analysis. The job requires both serious technical chops and effective communication skills. Sometimes you will build the solution yourself, and sometimes you will be coordinating the efforts of others, but at all times you will be expected to think creatively about solving the business problem.
What you will bring to the team:
- Solid RDBMS operational knowledge with outstanding SQL skills
- Ability to transform raw, noisy log level data into useful business fact tables
- Solid database design skills
- ETL expertise
- Computer Science expertise – algorithms, data structures, software engineering
- In-depth technical experience with data technologies such as Hadoop (HDFS, Hive, Map/Reduce), Spark, Kafka/Samza
- General software and programming experience; most of our codebase is in Java, but we have lots of python and bash scripts, and the ability to navigate this codebase is critical.
- Ability to understand and communicate business needs
- Ability to come up to speed quickly in order to understand and coordinate the work of domain experts – in particular the ability to work effectively with product engineering and data analysts
- Strong sense of responsibility: taking pride in your work, leveraging others, owning the problem
- And you love, and we mean love, data