What we’re building and why we’re building it
Trellis is an insurtech start-up. Our mission is to build industry-leading solutions that make insurance easy for everyone, from consumers to partners to insurers. Our embedded insurance solutions bring the market's leading insurance brands into the apps and ecosystems consumers already use to help them find, compare, and purchase personal insurance, harnessing the power of their personal data.
We’re fast-growing! Our partners include 4 of the top 5 digital banks and 7 of the top 50 personal finance apps in both app stores, including Rocket Money (formerly Truebill), Albert, and Acorns. We have backing from multiple top venture capital investors, including QED (Credit Karma, SoFi), General Catalyst (Airbnb, Stripe), Nyca (Acorns, Revolut), as well as Amex Ventures.
We’re fully remote. We believe it allows us to find the best talent wherever it is, provide our team with maximum flexibility, and stand out to candidates.
Trellis is led by third-time fintech entrepreneur, Daniel Demetri, who has previously founded multiple fintech and insurtech startups that now operate as publicly-traded companies.
- Extreme Ownership – We fulfill our promises to each other and to our customers. We own our responsibilities 110%.
- Speed – We work quickly and pragmatically. We move fast and get things done.
- Craft – We are constantly learning and bettering ourselves and the way we work.
- Collaboration – We work transparently, solicit feedback, and leave our egos at the door.
- Positivity – We see a cup half-full, focus on the team's potential, and rise to challenges..
About the role
Trellis is looking for talented engineers to join our team. You will have ownership of projects through the entire development cycle - from planning and development to validation, iteration, and maintenance.
In this role, expect to
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve the quality, stability, and scalability of our systems. Our software is being integrated into some of the largest consumer facing properties in the world, and we need to be able to scale with them.
- Develop and implement a variety of new product features with real user impact
- Expand our network of providers to ensure we cover all the insurance needs of our customers.
- Work on APIs that enable a better digital experience for insurance buyers.
- Expand the functionality of our existing products based on insights from our analytics and experimentation effort
- Conduct code reviews and provide helpful feedback that maintains our high code quality behind our systems
- Collaborate cross functionally to solve business problems and continue to support our rapid growth
To succeed in this role, you have
- 4+ years developing software in a production environment
- Production experience with our tech stack: Node, TypeScript, Firestore (strongly preferred)
- Experience as a senior engineer on an agile development team
- A strong sense of pride in the quality of your work and embracing ownership
- Proven experience working in backend systems (RESTful APIs, datastores)
- Previous experience writing high-quality, effective testing that empowers developers instead of being a burden
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate about technical problems and propose solutions
- The ability to work in complex systems that require deep domain context - being in the middle isn’t easy!
Nice to have, but not essential
- Experience working in fast paced, growing startups and understand all the additional demands that comes with this
- Familiarity with cloud environments, especially the Google Cloud stack
- Prior experience with Puppeteer
Trellis is a fantastic place to work
- Join a talented, passionate team that we call friends, mentors, and colleagues
- Flat,collaborative, transparent culture; get in at the ground floor and be a true business partner
- Opportunities for growth and development within your role and all areas of the organization
- 75th-percentile (competitive!) compensation
- 100% remote work environment
- Quarterly, fun team bonding events
Trellis additionally offers competitive benefits:
- Unlimited vacation time
- 100% employer-paid insurance for employee, 60% for dependents
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Bonuses and equity opportunities
- Budget for home office equipment