You may not realize it, but your insurance company knows a lot more about you and your household than even your bank.
At the same time, policyholders frequently face basic problems like inadequate, redundant, or overpriced coverage.
Trellis is a Series A technology start-up building APIs and embedded experiences that empower consumers to safely and easily access, share, and use their personal insurance information to get better-tailored, higher-quality products and services that offer maximum value.
Trellis has backing from multiple top venture capital investors, led by General Catalyst and QED Investors. Trellis is one of the fastest-growing and most profitable companies in the field of insurtech.
If you have car insurance, you can try a demo of Trellis at https://savvy.insure
Quick Facts About Trellis
Founded: March 2019
Founder & CEO: Daniel Demetri
- 3x fintech start-up exec
- Co-founder of States Title (now named Doma and exiting via SPAC at a $3B valuation)
- Led Product Management at online lender Earnest ($XXXM exit to Navient)
- Previously: Google, Harvard, multiple banks and hedge funds
Vision: Consumer financial services that automatically work in concert to support personal purpose and meaning
Mission: Unlock the full value of the data in consumers' personal insurance accounts
Traction: $XXMM of annualized revenue run-rate. Strategic partnerships with multiple Top 10 insurers, multiple top fintechs (e.g. Truebill, Albert, Chime), and multiple large online publishers. Net profitable in 2020.
Key investors: QED Investors (led Series A), General Catalyst (led Series Seed), NYCA Partners
Team size: 32 full-time equivalents (May 2021) and targeting 60+ by end of 2021
Location: 100% remote (US required)
- Extreme Ownership – We fulfill our promises to each other and to our customers. We own our responsibilities 110%.
- Speed – We work quickly and pragmatically.
- Collaboration – We work transparently, solicit feedback, and leave our egos at the door.
- Craft – We do a great job for the sake of it. We’re constantly learning and working at bettering ourselves and the way that we work.
- Positivity – We focus on the potential in the world and in each other. We rise to challenges rather than complain about them. We see a cup half full instead of half empty.
Mission of the Head of Finance
The Head of Finance will make sure we plan, manage, invest and optimize our resources to maximize impact and accelerate our business objectives. This entails strategic finance functions like FP&A, Corporate Development, and Investor Relations, as well as tactical financial operating functions like Accounting, and Sales Finance.
Outcomes from the Head of Finance
- Financial model and forecast that informs hiring, growth and budgets across the company built
- 30 Days: Financial model developed around both cost and revenue drivers; KPIs defined; new chart of accounts designed
- 90 Days: FP&A delivering actionable insights every month; KPIs implemented; departmental budgets established and tracked; owning annual and quarterly planning process
- 365 Days: Process for evaluating investments and capital allocation developed; ERP selected and implemented
- Consistent and predictable accounting operations built and managed
- 30 Days: Sales commissions calculated manually; payroll, accounts payable, and account receivable functions all taken on and executed; escalations from outside bookkeepers managed; expense reports reviewed manually; new approval processes designed
- 90 Days: New chart of accounts implemented; Monthly books closed and accurate within 10 days; Staff and/or vendors onboarded and trained; A/P review and approval processes implemented
- 365 Days: New corporate insurance broker selected; tax return optimized
- Insatiable investor demand and efficient dealmaking
- 30 Days: Financial model aligned with inside investor expectations
- 90 Days: Series B fundraise conducted at highly-accretive valuation, with efficient use of CEO time/attention; synergistic national insurance agency acquired
- 365 Days: Strategic commercial+corporate agreement reached with a top incumbent insurer
- Provide insightful and analytical support for other parts of the business including business development and insurance agency
- 30 Days: Partners with Business Development teams to price revenue and cost of revenue agreements; point of escalation for contract redlines; help define key KPIs to track
- 90 Days: New document/contract management system implemented;implement process for managing company and agent insurance licenses
- 365 Days: Develop scalable and automated processes
- Quantitative – This role lives in the numbers that describe our business. Strength with financial models and Excel is a must.
- Detail-oriented – This role oversees a lot of small things that can make a big impact. A couple extra zeros in a wire transaction can empty our bank account forever.
- Strategic – Winning investor confidence will require understanding our business position exceptionally well.
- Managerial and Stakeholder Management – Anyone who tries to take on all of these responsibilities alone with drown. We need someone comfortable finding and using leverage, while retaining full accountability. We will need a lot of vendors and/or part-time resources, so experience acquiring and using such resources is extra valuable. This role will touch many parts of the organization, effectively communicating with stakeholders and bringing people along is a must.
- Fast-paced, available, and responsive – Many of our timelines are tight, and some of the activities (like paying vendors) can require rapid turnaround.
- Process-oriented – This role involved coordinating everyone in the company around a shared objective. This is only possible at scale with organized processes.
What Trellis can offer you
Trellis has been a remote-only company since inception and will always be remote-first. We know how to cultivate a successful and highly collaborative team despite the distance. This includes:
- Quarterly virtual events to connect with your team members while celebrating our success and accomplishments
- Budget for home office equipment.
- Clear norms and etiquette around virtual meetings.
- Semi-annual in person retreats with both work and non-work activities (once travel is safe again)
In addition to being one of the best remote companies to work for, Trellis also offers:
- A very generous time off policy with unlimited sick and personal days.
- 100% company-paid Platinum health plans for employees. Generous subsidy for dependents.
- 401(k) retirement savings plan.
- A fulfilling, high impact role on a team working to completely change the way people shop for insurance.