You may not realize it, but your insurance company knows a lot more about you and your household than even your bank.
At the same time, policyholders frequently face basic problems like inadequate, redundant, or overpriced coverage.
Trellis is a Series A technology start-up building APIs and embedded experiences that empower consumers to safely and easily access, share, and use their personal insurance information to get better-tailored, higher-quality products and services that offer maximum value.
Trellis has backing from multiple top venture capital investors, led by General Catalyst and QED Investors. Trellis is one of the fastest-growing and most profitable companies in the field of insurtech.
If you have car insurance, you can try a demo of Trellis at https://savvy.insure
Quick Facts About Trellis
Founded: March 2019
Founder & CEO: Daniel Demetri
- 3x fintech start-up exec
- Co-founder of States Title (now named Doma and exiting via SPAC at a $3B valuation)
- Led Product Management at online lender Earnest ($XXXM exit to Navient)
- Previously: Google, Harvard, multiple banks and hedge funds
Vision: Consumer financial services that automatically work in concert to support personal purpose and meaning
Mission: Unlock the full value of the data in consumers' personal insurance accounts
Traction: $XXMM of annualized revenue run-rate. Strategic partnerships with multiple Top 10 insurers, multiple top fintechs (e.g. Truebill, Albert, Chime), and multiple large online publishers. Net profitable in 2020.
Key investors: QED Investors (led Series A), General Catalyst (led Series Seed), NYCA Partners
Team size: 32 full-time equivalents (May 2021) and targeting 60+ by end of 2021
Location: 100% remote (US required)
- Extreme Ownership – We fulfill our promises to each other and to our customers. We own our responsibilities 110%.
- Speed – We work quickly and pragmatically.
- Collaboration – We work transparently, solicit feedback, and leave our egos at the door.
- Craft – We do a great job for the sake of it. We’re constantly learning and working at bettering ourselves and the way that we work.
- Positivity – We focus on the potential in the world and in each other. We rise to challenges rather than complain about them. We see a cup half full instead of half empty.
About the role
We're looking for a Director of Engineering with a strong software development background and experience building and running a product engineering group team. You are a player-coach type of technical leader who is passionate about developing engineering talent, comfortable leading a technical roadmap, and not afraid to get into the details of the codebase. Ideally you've worked in a fast-growing startup managing teams, and you're excited about being at the forefront of our ambitious product roadmap.
In this role, expect to
- Remove roadblocks from the team before they are reached, and sometimes get your hands dirty in the code by doing pieces that would cause too great a context switch for your team.
- Coach, mentor, and performance manage a team of software engineers.
- Identify opportunities to incorporate new technologies or techniques into our process that improve engineering velocity.
To succeed in this role, you have
- 8+ years of relevant engineering work experience.
- 4+ years of hands-on technical management experience.
- Intimate knowledge of JS ecosystem (tooling, libraries, etc).
- Expert level familiarity with RESTful APIs and Service Oriented Architectures.
- Ability to uphold code quality standards, demonstrated through passion about technical stewardship.
- Experience with complex code bases and know how to incrementally improve them.
- Proven ability to recruit and develop top technical talent.
Nice to have but not essential
- You have more than a few years experience in cloud infrastructure, a high level of comfort with kubernetes and ideally some experience with Google Cloud.
- A mastery of continuous integration and deployment best practices.
- Exceptional system design abilities which includes experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications.
What Trellis can offer you
Trellis has been a remote-only company since inception and will always be remote-first. We know how to cultivate a successful and highly collaborative team despite the distance. This includes:
- Quarterly virtual events to connect with your team members while celebrating our success and accomplishments
- Budget for home office equipment.
- Clear norms and etiquette around virtual meetings.
- Semi-annual in person retreats with both work and non-work activities (once travel is safe again)
In addition to being one of the best remote companies to work for, Trellis also offers:
- A very generous time off policy with unlimited sick and personal days.
- 100% company-paid Platinum health plans for employees. Generous subsidy for dependents.
- 401(k) retirement savings plan.
- A fulfilling, high impact role on a team working to completely change the way people shop for insurance.