Tray.io is ushering in the era of the automated organisation
Bringing something complex like automation to business user means connecting and integrating what’s important to them. The Connectors team has a direct impact on how we scale across and within industry areas and on the overall capability and feel of our platform through their ability to deliver, maintain and improve our portfolio of integrations. Through leading this team, you will have an unprecedented impact on how we are able to expand and perform.
We believe that any organisation can and should automate. With Tray.io, citizen automators throughout organisations can easily automate complex processes through a powerful, flexible platform, and can connect their entire cloud stack thanks to APIs. Today businesses like IBM, GitHub, Reddit, npm, Lyft, and Digital Ocean rely on Tray.io to connect and automate data flow between the tools they use every day. With Tray.io visual workflow builder our customers create automations to drive their business processes without writing a single line of code. Our challenge is to build a cutting-edge product that is powerful and complete while also being beautiful and easy to use.
You'll contribute directly to this mission with a team that fully supports you to do your best work. You'll join humble but fiercely ambitious people like yourself, who also take great pride in what they do, working in a culture built on friendship, transparency, and above all, looking out for one another. You'll have endless opportunities to learn and grow professionally in a fun, fast-paced, and open environment. Plus, you'll get to make your mark at a rapidly-growing company positioned to completely reinvent a multibillion-dollar industry.
"With Tray, we have a group of experts who can help us explore all the possibilities we haven’t even thought of yet.” - Mike Atwood, Executive Director, Client Success / Vox Media
“I can’t emphasize enough just how good the Tray folks are at what they do.” - David Dorman, Director of Growth and Demand / DigitalOcean
The Connectors Team plays a key role in our organization, by building and supporting our portfolio of hundreds of integrations at scale. This involves both the creation of new integrations with third party products and services, and the continuous development and improvement of the Connectors Platform itself. In addition to that, the team is also responsible for creating new and innovative ways to connect with cloud apps, and developing the underlying technologies for leveraging all the most popular API types (including REST, GraphQL, WebSockets, SOAP, XML, Files and Database handling, etc.).
The team has a unique and highly progressive subculture within Tray. Whilst scaling from 4 to 20, our team gravitated towards recent Computer Science and bootcamps graduates. The hack-it, get things done and learn by doing attitude & skills developed on these intensive courses scored highly in our interview setup and responded well to the specific nature of our projects, which tests for collaboration and solving novel theoretical problems.
The team quickly blossomed, a peer-support network emerged empowering a team-led 120+ step kanban onboarding programme where tasks were broken into minutia and team members proactively guided each other through learning new operations. As the team expanded, little by little proactive and helpful team members created a plethora of new human documentation to further support autonomy at every step.
As Engineering Manager in the Connectors team, you will be empowering your team to play on their strengths. Conceptually, this squad is to become much like a bootcamp; a 2-3 years skills incubator with a fast progression track where learning & development is the priority.
New team members start small, we have an internal tool; Artisan, a simple interface that leverages a simple syntax to help new engineers create single-threaded, synchronous APIs without code to help them learn the functional paradigms of Connector building. From there, through pair programming and peer-to-peer documentation, each engineer is guided on a three-month journey to creating complex async & multithreaded Connectors. Beyond this, our Connectors team graduate into Node, Scala, Frontend & PWA roles in other squads and it’s this journey we want you to be accountable for.
You will be an energetic, charismatic manager with a technical background to support and coach our engineers and help drive technical initiatives that improve our engineering practices. Your focus will be on helping each team member with their personal and professional development, listening, guiding them through hard times and celebrating their successes. You will also help drive technical initiatives in partnership with senior engineers across multiple teams, such as product features, testing, accessibility or performance.
You will play a key role in helping shape the Tray Connectors Platform so that our customers can successfully run integrations at scale, and ensuring our infrastructure is performant, robust and secure. That said, your primary role is to lead and develop your wonderful team - taking care of hiring, onboarding, mentoring, coaching, career development, and performance management.
Within the wider engineering team, we want to build a positive team culture where you're supporting colleagues and empowering them to grow as technical leaders and people. The work that you do will enable your team to deliver on time and to the roadmap, and will ultimately have a direct impact on expanding the vision of the Tray Platform itself.
You will be working as part of a friendly, cross-discipline agile team who help each other solve problems on both server and client-side. Ideally, you will be an experienced developer and technical leader who has shipped large-scale single-page web apps in the past and has worked extensively with API integrations. You will be a forward thinker who can balance day-to-day pragmatism with an eye for the future growth of our platform, always showing a product-oriented mindset.
- Supporting, coaching and developing high performing engineers through regular 1:1s, continuous feedback and relationships with team leads.
- Supporting timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs.
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices.
- Partnering with tech leads and product managers to ensure delivery squads are properly staffed and able to be highly effective.
- Working closely with the Talent team to attract and hire high potential team members from diverse backgrounds.
- Contributing to management best practices: helping us become an exceptional place to work for the ambitious, highly motivated people that we hire.
- Helping to build an engineering organisation that can make a success of rapid growth.
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with our company values.
- Getting involved in product decisions, and balancing technical requirements with customer needs.
- BS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Strong technical background, either in front-end with experience working with large Single Page App codebases, or in backend, building & running large-scale, highly-available, distributed systems.
- 2+ years of growing and managing a team of 4 engineers or more or relevant sustained experience leading/training a similar group.
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders (design, product, internal customers) to iterate upon ideas.
- An agile enthusiast and help teams constantly improve and refine their working practices.
- A real passion for developing, mentoring and supporting people. You care deeply about helping others achieve their goals, avoid burnout, and become the best engineers they can be.
- Highly developed technical and people troubleshooting skills. You have an empathetic leadership style which allows you to build strong, effective relationships.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Passionate about troubleshooting, debugging, and automation.
- Expert knowledge of data structures and algorithms.
- Knowledge of PWAs and Accessibility.
- Experience designing and documenting companion APIs for single-page apps
- Excellent written communication skills, with a portfolio of technical guides and employer branding pieces.
- Strong experience working with customers, both internal and external to deliver projects on time and budget.
Our current tech stack:
- PostgreSQL, Redis, ElasticSearch, DynamoDB, AWS SQS, AWS Kinesis, GitHub
- Docker, Terraform, AWS Lambda, Serverless Framework
- Jenkins, Grafana, Prometheus
- AWS & Linux
Working at Tray.io offers many perks, but most importantly we are a talented team with a passion for the product we are building.
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Unrestricted holiday policy & work from home days
- Flexible working hours
- A fun and supportive working environment
- Top of the range equipment budget
- Drinks fridge & stocked kitchen
- Social events (team breakfasts/lunches, evenings out & trips)
- Employer contributory pension scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Private healthcare
- 50% off Virgin Active gym membership
Tray.io is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, colour, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.