Job Description: Systems Engineering, Senior Engineer
Grade: Senior Technologist
Location: Milton Keynes
Welcome to Transport Systems Catapult
Connected Places Catapult (CPC) was created on 1st April 2019 by uniting Future Cities Catapult (FCC) and Transport Systems Catapult (TSC).
The Connected Places Catapult (CPC), accelerates smarter living and travelling in and between the places of tomorrow. We focus on growing businesses with innovations in mobility services and the built environment that enable new levels of physical, digital and social connectedness. The Connected Places Catapult operates at the intersection between public and private sectors and between local government and transport authorities. We convene the disparate parts of the market to help innovators navigate the complexity of doing business, creating new commercial opportunities and improving productivity, socio-economic and environmental benefits for places.
The Connected Places Catapult is driven by the vision that connection is what drives innovation in placemaking: connected citizens, communities, public and private stakeholders; connected infrastructures and systems; connected data and information; connected languages and standards. Our mission is to help British businesses address the grand challenges of today in order to create connected places, fit for the future.
It is our role at the Connected Places Catapult to help bring all the actors to the table, and to help them discover the opportunities and urgencies that together we can collectively manifest for the good of ourselves, those around us, and all those on to whom we will pass the future.
Technical Capability Teams
The Delivery Arm of the Catapult comprises several capability teams. Individuals of similar or aligned skillsets are grouped into teams though able and encouraged to contribute to virtual project teams under a Project Manager. We have telematics and connectivity groups, software development and integration groups, systems engineering groups, data scientists, predictive analysis, macro, micro and environmental modelling, immersive visualisation, transport economics, social research & human factors groups……. and we have plans to grow more.
We are looking for creative and energetic individuals, with preferably aviation background, with a passion for making a difference and with the ability to contribute and accelerate the development of aviation initiatives. To further strengthen our capability, the Connected Places Catapult is seeking to recruit an experienced professional with a background in aviation, particularly in unmanned aviation in the UK and internationally, the regulatory landscape for platforms, systems, airspace and platform operations. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary team of systems engineers, technologists, human factors specialists and economists helping to shape Catapult wide projects. You will play a key role in leading and delivering work packages or entire projects, and work with stakeholders, run workshops and gather requirements, to help plan new projects, manage progress through to final deliverables. You may be required to represent the Catapult at meetings and events, to communicate project findings to both specialists and wider stakeholders.
As a Senior Engineer in the Systems Engineering team, your main technical responsibilities will be:
- Assessing the technical feasibility of new and novel transport solutions for aviation
- Collaborating with government, industry and business specialists to shape the direction of the projects.
- Working in multi-disciplinary teams to share, propose, communicate and implement programs – intensive, high impact engagements, harnessing latest agile ways of working and leveraging design-based thinking.
- Analysing industry context, interviewing key client stakeholders, building and facilitating workshops to develop and implement future aviation visions, roadmaps and governance to address today’s business needs and support future growth.
- Enabling industry to build the required capabilities for growth and innovation in order to address market barriers and create opportunity.
- Lead and participate in business development by identifying opportunities, leading and contributing to proposals and bidding activity as required
- Work collaboratively and effectively with all functions within Connected Places Catapult and external delivery partners to optimise beneficial working relationships
- Represent the CPC at relevant industry events, conferences and meetings where and when appropriate.
- Technical Leadership of projects at the CPC where you will be responsible for the technical quality, timely application of effort, the content of the work and ensuring the competence of key technical staff allocated to individual work packages
Expected Skills and Experience
- Awareness of national and global drone initiatives
- Technical Competence: General knowledge of aviation and detailed knowledge in one or more aspects (systems engineering, flight operations, aerospace software, safety cases, regulation and air traffic).
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to communicate clearly with UAS stakeholders including DfT, ATI, CAA, UTM Operators and the community
- Experience in business case development and strategy planning
- Shaping and driving solution thinking for complex bids and delivery engagements
- Shaping solution designs following a structured methodology as appropriate to the project
- Overseeing the implementation of the design in collaboration with multiple organisations
- Educated to a degree level in a Technical discipline
- Demonstrable experience of impact increasingly complex projects with increasing levels of responsibilities across a project lifecycle.
- Ability to produce high quality, impactful written reports and presentations
- Member of appropriate Professional Institution, Chartered (or equivalent status)
- Technical Competence - a recognised expert in aviation innovation and having made demonstrable contributions to the industry.
- A self-starter, able to work without supervision, and take project-level decisions with a desire for impact and focussed on delivery.
- Clear and concise communications with a high standard of written English and ability to drive impact through collaborative work relationships.
- Appetite to lead, be the point of contact and go to person.
- Able to guide and coach others in technical tasks on projects and delegate appropriately
- Pension scheme 2:1
- Life assurance 4x base salary
- Private Medical Insurance, for single, couple and family (salary sacrifice)
- Health cashback scheme
- RingGo discounted parking
- 25 days per year, plus bank holidays, plus non-guaranteed 3 or 4 ‘gift days’ over the Christmas period when the office is usually closed
- Rail season ticket loan.