Job Description: Demand Modelling Specialist
Grade: Principal Technologist
Location: Milton Keynes/London
Working Hours: 35 Hour Week (Flexible)
Welcome to Transport Systems Catapult
There is a global race to provide better transport solutions. Clean, green, safe, easy to access, convenient, whole-journey solutions are the future. Informed, digitally connected, passengers demand a better service and the country’s economic future depends on us having a much more intelligent approach. The revolution in data science and connectivity, along with UK’s world leading research base as well as our transport industry’s pedigree provides the UK with the opportunity to win this race.
The Transport Systems Catapult (TSC) is a neutral, not-for-profit, Technology and Innovation company full of energetic, capable, technologists and business experts undertaking applied research projects in collaboration with academia, SMEs and industry with the aim of making UK a world leader in transport innovation. Current ‘initiative areas’ include Connected and Autonomous Transport, Mobility-as-a-Service Platforms, Open Transport Data Hub, SME and Scale-up Partnerships and Academic Alliances. It’s novel, it’s exciting, it’s challenging and it’s a rapidly growing market…… All aboard please!
We work with companies, universities and government using technology and novel commercial models to transform transport. We call this ‘Intelligent Mobility’. Intelligent Mobility is the smarter, greener, safer and more efficient movement of people, goods and information around the world. We work to identify future technology trends, so we can make the UK a global leader and create jobs and grow companies. Through identifying new technologies and ways of working, we are making transport better for everyone.
We are looking for individuals who have the ambition and drive to want to make a difference and be part of defining the future of transport. You will have the opportunity to become involved in and help to shape and deliver unique and ground-breaking projects at the cutting edge of transport innovation.
Technical Capability Teams
The delivery arm of the Catapult comprises several capability teams organised into technical areas. Individuals of similar or aligned skillsets are grouped into teams though are able and encouraged to contribute to virtual project teams under a project manager. We have transport, 3D and environmental modellers, economists and business analysts, data scientists and AI specialists, software developers and big data engineers, systems engineers and drone experts, social researchers and anthropologists……. and we have plans to grow more.
This role will support our ongoing programmes of work in relation to new mobility services, connected (and autonomous) vehicles, and advanced modelling techniques. Reporting to the Modelling and Visualisation Team Leader, you will be responsible for leading the development of innovative new multi-modal modelling tools and platforms to enable the potential demand for and impact of future mobility services to be assessed and appraised. This is likely to include the use of conventional modelling packages as well as innovative new platforms that will be developed within the team. Key focus areas of this role will be in the development of demand models to assess the likely uptake of mobility services as well as developing models to enable the multi-modal impacts of such new services to be understood. Due to a significant project win we are particularly seeking candidates with experience of TfL’s strategic modelling suite, LTS, LoHAM and Railplan.
Your input will define the technical scope of the project work that we will be undertaking with partners and stakeholders. You will also provide technical direction, leadership and assurance throughout the project delivery phase, providing clear support and direction to the team undertaking the technical work and ongoing engagement and liaison with project partners and stakeholders. You will often be developing projects from first principles for ‘First of a Kind’ feasibility studies or demonstrators. This often requires working through ambiguity to identify a clear project scope – you will need to be comfortable with this exciting, challenging and essential part of this role.
The role is likely to cover the full range of activities that the TSC is engaged with, including connected and autonomous systems, new mobility services and data sharing/analytics. You will have strong industry reputation and credibility and been seen as a thought leader.
A key facet of this role will be taking learning and experience gained from developing and operating current models and applying that for unconventional and innovative uses. Having an eye for innovation and seeing how modelling could be done in different ways is a key requirement for this role. You will also be expected to contribute to the dissemination of our project results via attendance at major UK and international conferences and seminars.
With behaviours underpinned by the TSC Employee Charter, the responsibilities of the Demand Modelling Specialist are as follows:
- Provide thought leadership within TSC and externally in demand forecasting and multi-modal modelling for future transport schemes and innovative transport projects.
- Act as point of contact within the TSC for Demand Modelling and multi-modal modelling, managing internal and external relationships and licencing with software providers, key industry practitioners, decision-makers and academic stakeholders.
- Provide support / training and coaching to colleagues in multi-modal demand and assignment model development and use.
- Provide technical leadership into projects involving strategic planning, demand modelling and multi-modal analysis.
- Be a team player and actively support the development of new skills and technical capabilities within the modelling and visualisation team.
- Help grow our capability and understanding of demand and multi-modal model requirements in relation to innovative transport projects.
- Undertake the technical delivery of project tasks where multi-modal demand forecasting or modelling forms all or part of the project requirements.
- Management of own workload to time and quality.
- Direct liaison with internal and external clients and contributing to the overall team success.
- Following internal processes in the delivery of projects.
- Assist in business development activity and the preparation of bids and fee proposals.
- Contribute to the design of impact studies.
- Contribute to the dissemination of our research output.
Desirable skills and experience
- A numerate degree (or equivalent) ideally in a transport related discipline.
- Further postgraduate MSc/PhD qualifications are of benefit but not essential.
- Experience of developing and introducing innovative ways of modelling and analysis.
- Significant experience of undertaking multi-modal demand forecasting and developing and using assignment models.
- Significant experience of developing and using multi-modal models for the assessment of public transport schemes, including Bus, Park & ride (road and rail based), light rail and heavy rail.
- Significant experience of multi-modal modelling using industry standard packages such as CUBE, VISUM, EMME etc.
- Significant experience of multi-modal modelling including the development of Hierarchical Logit-Based Mode Choice Models.
- Have an in-depth understanding of interchange penalties between different transport modes and how to apply that within a multi-modal modelling environment.
- Significant experience of modelling for public transport and multi-modal scheme assessments and design studies.
- Significant experience of specifying, developing and building multi-modal demand models.
- Significant experience of specifying, developing and building multi-modal transport models.
- Significant experience of calibrating, validating and auditing multi-modal transport models.
- Significant in-depth experience of using, applying and understanding WebTAG guidance.
- Experience of working on Multi-Modal models for UK organisations such as Transport for London’s strategic modelling suite including LTS, LoHAM and Railplan models.
- Knowledge of UK transport policies, organisation and governance would be of benefit
- Proven ability to learn new software and/or analytical techniques rapidly, becoming competent to a high degree of autonomy.
- It would be desirable to have experience of Activity Based Modelling.
- It would be desirable to have some basic software development skills e.g. VBA / Python / Java / C++
- Numerate with excellent data analysis skills. Competency in data analysis packages, such as Excel/Access or Tableau.
- Strong written and verbal communication to present complex concepts to multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience of writing and presenting technical reports and liaising with clients.
- Excellent technical report writing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Can-do, positive attitude
- Comfortable with ambiguity
- Intelligence, listening and learning
- Proactivity, energy, enthusiasm
- Collaborative and non-hierarchical style of working
- Strong technical skills linked to business acumen
- Able to command a high-profile presence both internally and externally
- Able to adjust approach and communication style in empathy with the audience
- Able to demonstrate courage and conviction to deliver better strategic outcomes
- Flexible working options
- Pension scheme 2:1
- Life assurance 4x base salary
- Private Medical Insurance, for single, couple and family
- Health cashback scheme
- RingGo discounted parking
- 25 days per year, plus bank holidays, plus non-guaranteed 3 or 4 ‘gift days’ over the Christmas period when the office is usually closed
- Rail season ticket loan.
Transport Systems Catapult uses a third-party company, Verifile, to carry out pre-employment screening. This includes verification of your past 3 years of employment and/or educational activity (and any breaks in employment/education) and verification of your highest level of relevant academic qualifications. All offers of employment will be conditional, subject to satisfactory verification. Your explicit consent will be requested before the reference checking process commences.