# Who we are
We are a well-established independent agency and thriving music business, built to help ambitious brands harness the power of culture to solve their biggest challenges. As a unique mix of experts in culture, technology, and storytelling, we are united by a passion to grow brands in ways that advertising alone can never do.
We are an entrepreneurial business – not a traditional “ad agency.” That means we value resourcefulness and tenacity just as much as we value creativity and intelligence. We’re unapologetically ambitious, but we’re also a tight-knit crew.
# What's the role
The Director of Business Affairs is a Mid- Senior/Director Level Business Manager who is comfortable in a fast paced, non-traditional organization with an entrepreneurial and creatively driven atmosphere. (S)he works with the Executive Producer, helping grow the department and instituting and maintaining processes and procedures.
Essential Responsibilities You’ll Own
- Support and Mentor Content Production Department and Business Leadership Department to better serve clients.
- Serve as liaison with Client’s Ad Service personnel and production consultants; must impart client production guidelines to all production and Business Leadership personnel and ensure all are properly followed.
- Serve as Production liaison with Finance Department (client invoicing/agency payment, vendor invoicing/payment, financial tracking), and with In-House Legal Counsel (contracts/rights and clearances/etc.).
- Attend Pre Bid Meetings and prepare ballpark estimates with the Producer.
- Prepare business affairs specification sheets (production/casting) that incorporate agency/client guidelines and all agency production estimates.
- Responsible for Insurance needs (production, weather, and cast), declaration preparation, etc.
- Responsible for issuing all business affairs related paperwork, i.e., contracts, insurance documents, purchase orders, and talent session/completion reports.
- Must approve invoices and track vendor invoices; must work with finance to facilitate vendor payment.
- Must negotiate and report production cost overages, as well as analyze and track vendor back up.
- Must revise estimates to insure billability of overages, and fiscal accruals.
- Follow each production through completion, and work with finance to close jobs in a timely manner.
- Must negotiate with suppliers in cooperation with the agency producers.
- Liaison to Talent Paymaster/Third Party Signator, Client Talent Managers and Union Business Representatives.
- Work with Executive Producer and outside brokers to facilitate music licensing.
# Who are we looking for?
You are results and bottom-line oriented, yet will possess deep appreciation and sensitivity towards people, culture, and values. You are “thick-skinned” and persistent, but at the same time diplomatic and politically aware. You are personable, smart, passionate, and optimistic. You possess a deeply pro-active, hands-on mentality. You hold yourself accountable and take great pride in your work – just like us. We’re proudly diverse in our backgrounds, our accents, and our fiercely held personal passions. We are, in every sense of the word, independent, and not beholden to anyone else’s agenda. So are you.
# What will set you up for success
- Demonstrate, evangelize and live the core values of the agency.
- Incorporate the passion, excitement and experience of one’s MINOR in relevant ways that inform the quality and output of agencies deliverables.
- Work well as part of a team, with a range of people, but also be action-oriented as an individual (in other words: that entrepreneurial spirit).
- Possess and encourage high degrees of initiative, drive, energy, accountability, creativity and maturity.
- Be able to work under pressure and move with the storms of pitches, brainstorming sessions, and tight deadlines with flexible agility, a good sense of humor, and solid focus.
- Experience in building solid long term relationships with team players: account, client, creative, production, senior management.
- Ability to manage a project from start to finish as well as oversee general production of multiple projects at one time.
- Solid understanding of the creative process and what it takes to deliver creative excellence.
- Proven track record in prioritizing a heavy workload and multi-tasking.
- Able to meet deadlines with accuracy and minimum supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Professional, friendly demeanor with extremely strong organizational skills and high attention to detail.
- Ability to solve problems with keen instincts and organizational experience.
- 8+ years of related experience with a thorough knowledge of Broadcast Production.
- Some knowledge of Digital Production and Art Buying/Print Production as required for an integrated production department.
- Familiar with all latest AICP and AICE forms, with ability to analyze production and editorial bids.
- Knowledgeable of talent union contracts: SAG-AFTRA and AF of M, as well as non-union talent standards.
- Knowledge of music licensing
- Must have some knowledge of foreign production.
- Knowledge of Advantage estimating and accounting systems is preferable, but not mandatory (will train).
- 4-year college degree preferred.
- Digitally savvy; MUST be skilled in Google and Microsoft Office suite (Mac OS).
About Translation Enterprises
Translation Enterprises, composed of Translation LLC and UnitedMasters, is a minority-owned marketing and technology company empowering brands and artists to forge authentic connections with audiences a scale through a unique mix of actionable insights, technology, and storytelling.
Translation was founded on the power of culture to propel discourses, trends, and movements - and more importantly, be the most unapologetic determinant of what is relevant. For over 15 years, Translation has partnered with brands and creators to build and grow disruptive platforms that foster deeper community engagement. This experience has given us unparalleled insight into the dynamics of culture and affinities that link people together. Backed by Alphabet, Andreessen Horowitz, and 21st Century Fox, we are reimagining how brands and artists tell their stories, create value, and push culture forward.