Wise is one of the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got over 16 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
And, we need a talented Engineering Lead to join our mission.
The team you’ll be working with: Treasury Ledger Team
The Treasury Ledger team plays a pivotal role in upholding the financial infrastructure of our organization. True to its name, this team is at the forefront of providing essential support and maintaining the intricate business logic behind our Treasury Ledger service. This service, a core component of Wise, seamlessly integrates with the full spectrum of products we offer, serving as the backbone for calculating our assets and liabilities with unwavering accuracy and in real time.
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Lead to join the Treasury Squad, leading the above areas. You would be responsible for shaping and delivering some of the key initiatives like:
- Improving the scalability and reliability of the treasury ledger infrastructure to provide real time data with consistently meeting technical SLAs;
- Designing and implementing real time data streaming flows to enable real timelines of financial data & controls that is relied upon for critical downstream processing - such as risks hedging and liquidity management;
- Building an accessible Treasury Ledger platform to make real time, accurate financial data available to all the stakeholders. As the data volume that ledger processes is growing exponentially, along with the need to make the data available in real time, with good controls and accuracy, this is a great opportunity for someone to have a huge impact in shaping and leading the delivery of systems that are scalable and reliable.
Your role in the team:
- Working with different products and stakeholders
- Designing and building near real-time processing and transformation pipelines
- Improve the onboarding process by making it easier and robust to speed up shipping of the products
- Work with product managers and analysts to setup better controls for the data we have and align stakeholders on these
- Support and ensure that the team is meeting strict technical SLAs for processing
- Supporting big data pipelines (dealing with Terabytes of data, with the data volume almost doubling YOY) to prepare data that can be used for real time as well as monthly reporting
- Being responsible for the overall health and productivity of the engineers within your team
- Providing feedback on architecture and approach and helping team make data-driven decisions
- Having an overview of what’s happening across the organisation and thinking about engineering as a whole
- Rolling your sleeves up and coding, being involved in the entire process. Your hands-on involvement may reduce as the team size increases.
Is that you?
- Experience leading, coaching and mentoring driven and high performing teams
- A passion for international finance, foreign exchange and payment systems
- Comfortable working on big challenges and taking full ownership of the customer journey
- Experience building and designing scalable and performing systems
- Experience working with Java, Spring framework (or similar), asynchronous event driven microservices based architecture
- Comfortable with SQL databases, optimisation and transaction
…but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
Nice to have bonuses:
- Experience with Real time streaming frameworks/ technologies (Kafka Streaming, Apache Flink, Amazon Kinesis, or others)
- Experience with Analytical Data Warehouses (Snowflake, Redshift, ClickHouse, or others)
- Domain Experience: Financial accounting, IFRS Reporting
What does success look like in this role?
- You’ll build a good understanding of the domain and an overall understanding of the Wise business
- You’ll have found your place in our mission by understanding how to drive engineering solutions and look to future challenges
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product makes in their lives
- You’ll make contributions to the wider engineering goals of the company
- You’ll inspire a team environment where ideas are shared and openness is valued
- You’ll help us scale-up and build a world class money transfer product that impacts millions of customers
What you get back:
- The ability to choose your own path to success - you’ll have the freedom to define the vision
- The freedom to have real impact
- The opportunity to inspire teams
- RSU’s in a growing company
- Relocation and visa expenses covered
Find out more about our benefits in our Tallinn office.
Interested? Find out more:
- 👀 How we work - a practical guide
- 📹 Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- 💻 The Wise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
- 📈 Our Engineering career map
- 🚀 Engineering career journeys at Wise
...or check out our Engineering blog.
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
We're people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We believe teams are strongest when they are diverse, equitable and inclusive. We're proud to have a truly international team, and we celebrate our differences.
Every Wiser should feel that they can be themselves at work. Inclusive teams help us live our values and make sure every Wiser feels respected, empowered to share their contributions towards mission zero and able to progress in their careers.
Having diverse teams that reflect our diverse customer base helps us build a better product. We can be more creative and empathetic to our customer's needs and life experiences and makes sure we leave no-one behind on our journey to mission-zero.
If you want to find out more about what it's like to work at Wise visit Wise.Jobs.